Having trouble Starting my car ! have to tap gas in order to start

Speedster329

whats up guys im new to the honda game so i have a quick question

i have a 93 civic coupe with a LS-V motor in it. My problem with it right now is that everytime i go to start the car its a problem. If i turn the key the car will begin to crank but will not start on its own i must tap the gas all the way down constantly and pump it in order for it to start. After 2 or 3 tries (giving it 10 min. between tries) it will turn on but only by tapping the gas. When im driving and if i happen to stall out and i turn the key normally without the tapping the gas it will start right up no problem, but if i turn it off and leave it sitting for a while then i have to turn key and hit the gas and HOPE that it starts.

I know the car has a p28 chipped ecu and previous owner said its tuned for the injectors and fueling but i dont think it is. The car has a Fuel preasure regulator with RC310cc injectors as well as bigger Fuel Pump and a Fuel Presure Gauge.

Between tries while cranking and tapping the gas you can smell so much gas out the exhaust and near the engine bay as well. its running extremley rich and with this cold weather its no help. Sometimes it wont even start after a few tries. Ive changed the Spark plugs and that helps a little since the plugs arent Fouled out when i put new ones in because if i take the ones im using out they are purley black on the bottom.

My question is to everyone that tuning the fuel/air will that somewhat help me for that startup issue or is it something else that i must do such as distributor problem or something along those lines ?

Also the car has type r intake mani, skunk 2 cams, cam gears, skunk 2 throttle body and ctr pistons so maybe that info will allow for some people to know what the problem may be. I like how the motor runs and everything but that startup issue is really killing me BIG TIME!

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys ! Thanks in advance

slwrthnu

Car Ramrod
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I bet its your throttle positioning sensor. My buddy had a problem with the same setup you are running, it was just his TPS sensor.

RonJ

Banned
Do you have an FITV on the throttle body? Have you tried cleaning the FITV and IACV? Any CEL codes?

Speedster329

no check engine codes but on the throttle body it didnt have a vaccum source so the map on there isint connected directly to the original one. The previous owner routed a vaccum source and connect another map which he bolted on the firewall. once the car starts its all good but its a problem to start. he said if it was connected to the original map it would run differently.

if any pics or anything is needed let me know i just want to start my car normally without having to tap the gas at startup.

RonJ

Banned
You should connect the MAP sensor connector to the MAP sensor on the throttle body. Why do you think the MAP sensor on the throttle body does not have a vacuum source? Post a picture.

Does the CEL work?

Speedster329

in the pic the fuel presure regulator is connected to it and is using the T hose to route to the MAP on the firewall since the throttle body didnt have a vaccum source he told me

yes the CEL works because sometimes when i do start it the way i am it actually throws it but then goes away after a while if im driving it.

if any other closer pic is needed let me know i took a few

RonJ

Banned
Remove the two screws from the unplugged MAP sensor mounted on top of the throttle body. Post a picture showing the underside of the removed MAP sensor and the top of the throttle body where the MAP sensor was mounted.

Speedster329

Remove the two screws from the unplugged MAP sensor mounted on top of the throttle body. Post a picture showing the underside of the removed MAP sensor and the top of the throttle body where the MAP sensor was mounted.
ok i will try and get that pic in a bit and i havent checked the code its throwing because i have only seen it twice but by the time i want to check it the light goes away.

RonJ

Banned
When the CEL turns on, leave the engine running while you jump the service connector.

RonJ

Banned
Shine a light into the hole that was covered by the MAP sensor on the top of the throttle body (TB). Is it clear that the hole leads and has a clear path to the intake manifold (IM)? If so, the MAP sensor that you removed DOES have a vacuum source. Reinstall the MAP sensor on the TB, unplug the MAP sensor connector on the firewall, plug the connector into the MAP sensor on the throttle body, reset the ECU, and check how the engine starts and runs.

Edit: Also disconnect the vacuum hose that runs to the MAP sensor on the firewall. One hose running from the FPR to the IM is fine.

Speedster329

will deff try this tomorow bright and early will keep you posted on what happens hopefully you can respond as quick because so far the help is great !

Speedster329

well i went out today and took off the MAP connected to the TB...i shined a light but it does not enter the Itake Manifold at all i tried to put something in the MAP hole to see if it would go down but it didnt its just blocked off right there and dosent enter the "IM" so that is why i guess he had to do it the way it is setup now...

SHould i go about getting a New TB and doing it the correct way or even just putting a stock one on for now ?

RonJ

Banned
well i went out today and took off the MAP connected to the TB...i shined a light but it does not enter the Itake Manifold at all i tried to put something in the MAP hole to see if it would go down but it didnt its just blocked off right there and dosent enter the "IM" so that is why i guess he had to do it the way it is setup now...

SHould i go about getting a New TB and doing it the correct way or even just putting a stock one on for now ?
Has someone blocked the MAP sensor passage way or is the TB a mismatch for the IM? Can you remove the TB and post pictures showing where the TB and IM meet?

Speedster329

i can deff try to take it off tomorow or something to see what the hell is going on with that. It started up today but with the usual gas tapping but no check engine light and i was driving the car for like 2 hours straight without turning it off