1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Head lights and instrument control lights flickering?

Discussion in 'Tech Archive (No Posting)' started by nickenumbers, Oct 30, 2009.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. nickenumbers

nickenumbers New Member 5+ Year Member

Does anyone else have a problem with head lights and instrument control lights flickering?

This doesn't happen all the time, it happens intermittently. But it drives me crazy. The back light for the speedometer and revs and the headlights themselves go brighter then darker then brighter then darker.

Has anyone seen this or heard of this before? How do I fix it and what is going wrong?

Thank you.

2. RonJ

RonJ Banned

Does the battery light in the cluster stay on or flicker on and off while you are driving? You may want to have the alternator tested.

3. nickenumbers

nickenumbers New Member 5+ Year Member

This is another stupid question, but how can I test my alternator?

Thank you.

4. K-N-2-EK

K-N-2-EK . Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

take your car to o riellys or autozone or pepboys..ask for a alternator test...

5. dragonfly7518

dragonfly7518 New Member 5+ Year Member

same issue

I am having the same problem - have noticed it periodically for awhile. Alternator is fine according to Auto Zone though. If I drive for more than 30 min or so sometimes my right turn signal stops working also.
    We've replaced the fuses and the headlight bulbs. Any suggestions on what else could cause this problem?

6. jay192

jay192 New Member 5+ Year Member

im having that problem now with my hatch my mechanic said it has something to do with one of my sensor wires being burnt out because its under the car I'll find out more on Wednesday and posts

7. RonJ

RonJ Banned

Check 7.5A fuse 15 under the dash.

8. zb12691

zb12691 Ebuilt Ricer Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

ok, here is the problem. you all have d16y7's. they made shitty intake manifolds and shitty wires behind it. a couple wires have rubbed through and are now grounding or sending power to where it shouldnt be. the wires are for your eld and gauge cluster

you might also notice your mph acts as a tach. just find the wires that are rubbed through and wrap them with electrical tape. there below the intake manifold. good luck getting to them. =)

9. RonJ

RonJ Banned

This is mostly correct. Several 96-99 engines are affected. Read this TSB.

10. zb12691

zb12691 Ebuilt Ricer Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

thats it, i work for a dealer, we fix this all the time

11. silvercivic99

silvercivic99 New Member 5+ Year Member

i had this problem for a while... it is the alternator for sure.

12. HondaD16y8

HondaD16y8 Black Dragon

i have a 97 Honda civic d16y8 and my lights flicker too. i changed my alternator and it fixed it for a while and started again. i looked at the wires behind the motor and it looked fine. it keep s blowing my alternator speed sensor fuse. the check engine light gives me a code for a o2 sensor. i still cannot figure it out. if anybody has any ideas, please let me know. it only has 117,000 miles on it with all new belts. so i cant be the timing belt.

13. frankmoocivic

frankmoocivic I Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Quick question do you guys have aftermarket stereos or amps in your car?

14. K-N-2-EK

K-N-2-EK . Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

if the answer is yes to the above question ^^^^ find yourself a dual stage alternator...ive got friends who work at Electronic stores and specially the 06+ the alt. sucks. find a dual stage run you close to 300

15. red98civ

red98civ New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

i had this problem with my right turn signal but it was a lose wire from when i disconnected the halo's on my old headllights, check to make sure all wires are tight.

(may not be the issue in your case, but it cant hurt to check!)

16. frankmoocivic

frankmoocivic I Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Also make sure all your connections are right and tight. If you got s**t wigglin around your amps will try to draw more power, if you don't have a capacitor, get one. So many people think they know how to work a stereo system and they really don't make sure you have a decent inline fuse and all screw are tight on your distribution block(s).

17. HondaD16y8

HondaD16y8 Black Dragon

i have a system but its not hooked up. i also have a radiator leak that when i drove antifreeze was all over the place. would that be the problem? it only started when the check engine light came on, and the code reader said malfunction on o2 sensor 1 bank 1. help me on this please. thanks.

18. ProVic

ProVic New Member 5+ Year Member

for free?

19. mikemo

mikemo New Member 5+ Year Member

check engine ground my 00 ex ground was loose ,caused all the samethings gauge ,lights