Head swap & auto to manual: 96 Civic

MirokuGandor

Hi all up till 1 week ago my 1996 honda civic ex vtec was runing good till i blow a hole through my d16y8 block and this is the second time with the same auto transmission on the engine..... so my plan is to use my parts car which is a 1994 Honda Civic LX for the engin the manual transmission the slave cylinder the clutch the lines xcetera. My questions are this what do I have to do to use my D16Y8 head on the d16z6 block putting the manual transmission on I want to use the same original harness out of the 96 I don't want to have to change wire harnesses I know I have to change the brain to a manual brain but is there anything else I need to do besides that and installing the clutch pedal. And how do I wire the clutch pedal for the sensors without hacking all my wires to my original harness in the 96 clear pictures and help would be appreciative it was my daily driver and I really would like to have it back unless there's a way I could use the whole D16 Z 6 engine and still use my original wire harness for my 96 any suggestions would be grateful along with help
View attachment 28666 View attachment 28664 20161207_153709.jpg 20161220_172151.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just to confirm, you have an automatic 96 Civic, and a manual 94 Civic, and want to swap the manual transmission and Z6 block from the 94 and then reuse the Y8 head from the 96?

http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/[faq]-96-00-auto-manual-swap-full-detail-44pics-1337459/

Pretty good, detailed how to for an auto to manual swap, along with wiring. Personally, when we did the auto to manual conversion on my car, we never wired in the clutch safety switch. So I could start the car without pushing the pedal in -- I just had to make sure it wasn't in gear or else it would stall and lurch forward.

MirokuGandor

Just to confirm, you have an automatic 96 Civic, and a manual 94 Civic, and want to swap the manual transmission and Z6 block from the 94 and then reuse the Y8 head from the 96?

http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/[faq]-96-00-auto-manual-swap-full-detail-44pics-1337459/

Pretty good, detailed how to for an auto to manual swap, along with wiring. Personally, when we did the auto to manual conversion on my car, we never wired in the clutch safety switch. So I could start the car without pushing the pedal in -- I just had to make sure it wasn't in gear or else it would stall and lurch forward.
All is right but my 96 Civic is auto i wont to use the 94 block and transmission and swap the head and keep 96 wiring harness...

daperez13

Respected

It's impressive how you are able to decipher a lot of these posts. It's like the Matrix - you got used to it. You don't even see the code. All you see is motors, transmissions, suspension. Hey, you uh...you want a drink?