Headlight Bulb

ej8_al

Hey everyone,

I have a 2000 civic ex and i was considering putting some different headlight bulbs. Im kind of a newb at this. I want a different bulb, particularly a soft white blue color. What size and specification bulb would i need? Is it legal and all that? thanks

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It should be legal as long as its not purple or some stupid color:what:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Keep in mind, the higher kelvin rating you go, the less visibility you'll have. The brightest is 4300 K.

If you want a bright bulb, I'd recommend Philips Xtreme Visions or Osram Night Breakers. Both are rated +100% and +90% (respectively) over OEM bulbs. I used to have the Philips Xtreme Powers (predecessor to the visions) which were rated around the same as the visions and they were VERY bright for a halogen.

If you have a decent amount of money to spend, you can also look into doing an HID retrofit. Visit www.theretrofitsource.com for parts/kits. I have a retrofit and never want to go back to halogens now.

BHOLD6160

They sell HID kits all over the Internet for $50-$100 most kits are $60 and its all plug and play. Takes about 15 min to install. I think 6000k would best suit what you are looking for. They will give you a bright beam and only a slight blue tint.

DTvn

They sell HID kits all over the Internet for $50-$100 most kits are $60 and its all plug and play. Takes about 15 min to install. I think 6000k would best suit what you are looking for. They will give you a bright beam and only a slight blue tint.
gtfo

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree with JohnS. that you want to stay in a MODERATE range. Take a look at your local Lowes at the light bulb aisle (at the choices in kelvin range and color), it's the same thing going on with your headlights. Those cheap HID kits likely put an HID bulb in your stock housing, and aren't worth s**t. IF you do decide to go HID, get a quality retrofit kit with projectors. Likely going to cost more than $50 or $60. Whatever you do, make sure to research before you put down that cash.

BHOLD6160

The op clearly isn't looking to spend hundreds of dollars on retrofit headlights. His title says "HEADLIGHT BULB" and since most local auto parts stores only offer maybe three different choices of halogen bulbs the next step is HID. Majority of HID kits are exactly the same even when you get down to size and wattage of the ballast. They all do the same thing. Project light.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They all do the same thing. Project light.
They also scatter the light output and blind the s**t out of other drivers. Putting H.I.D. bulbs in a stock halogen headlight set up is a d**k move and is very illegal which was one of his concerns.