Headlight wiring

DocShay

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey guys,

Thinking of doing some rewiring tomorrow on my headlights, due to I think I have a corroding ground wire (1 headlight dimmer than other, even tried replacing bulbs)

Anyone know what specific gauge of wiring, or if there's a specific type of cable i'm going to need for this?

Lastly, any word of advice or pointers on doing this? Last time I played around with the headlights I left with a huge gash in my hand, bleeding all over the place. (Tight areas + sharp edges + big hands is a bad combo)

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anything is going to be a better gauge than factory, most of that stuff is like 18g. I would suggest 14g but like I said, anything is going to be better. Due to the immense amount of current draw from headlights I would also suggest something with a thick jacket of insulation. Hope that helps a little.

Ps91

5+ Year Member
Are you sure you have a corroding ground wire? Unless your wires got wet or your battery leaked acid over the wires, you should not have a problem like corroded wires. Also, there are separate fuses for the left and right headlights. Try testing the voltage at the headlight wire harness. I'd test both left and right, try even removing the headlights and testing both on each left and right side harnesses. It's cramped there but you might need to remove the entire assembly so you don't get cut up. It might be better if you decide to rewire anyway. I sometimes get lazy and not do this and end up taking twice as long. Let us know your progress.

DocShay

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
car is 10 years old and I live in Winnipeg (-40 winters for 8 months, and s**t loads of salt) - Gut feeling wires are becoming corroded, might as well replace anyway.

I find it hard to figure out where some wires go since its so compact in there..but either way i'll let ya guys know.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could any1 tell us where is the ground wire located at for the headlight?

maybe that is why one side is brighter on my civic.