Heated seats, need power!!

boostedSiR

okay so I have a 1999 SiR (Si), and I swapped my seats (front and rear) with leather heated seats from a 2000 Acura El 1.6. My car originally was not equipped with heated seats. The seats are in the car, and i have also taken the wires which were connected to the seats from the El. These wires connect to both front seats and run up to the center console to connect with the switches. The problem i have is, I need to connect 1 wire to a power source in order to give power to the seats and switches. What can i connect the power wire (which currently is just hanging out) to which will give the seats/switches sufficient power and get the HEATED part of these seats working for the winter!!!

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
you can tie that power wire to any acc wires like your radio and such

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
you can tie that power wire to any acc wires like your radio and such
I would not suggest doing that. You need to find out how much power the seats require first. Then you may end up needing to run new wiring from the battery or a higher amp circuit. You also need to make sure your alternator and battery can handle the additional output.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
thats more of a general rule of thumb but this case i can guarantee you it needs 12v as everything thing else is in the car. sensors on the motor are exception they get powered on by the ecu which sends 5v also most of the additional acc are all tied into acc wire to the key cylinder

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
if he wanted to he can install it tied into the acc wire off the key cylinder if he wanted.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
thats more of a general rule of thumb but this case i can guarantee you it needs 12v as everything thing else is in the car. sensors on the motor are exception they get powered on by the ecu which sends 5v also most of the additional acc are all tied into acc wire to the key cylinder
I don't disagree that it needs 12 volts. I'm saying the amps needed for heated seats are probably way more than what the wires in the dash can safely carry.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
ok i see what you ment, but the op also said all other wires and switches/fuses are hooked up so its gotta be main power wire but if its any consolation he can put a fuse with a specific amperage inline for added security

boostedSiR

i was told that i can either install a 20amp fuse which goes from the battery positive. or tie the wire to an already powered source which would give me the right amount of power

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
I would treat it like an audio amplifier and run power with medium gauge wire directly off the battery. Use an inline 20 amp fuse as close to the battery as possible.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would also install a relay and tie it into the ignition switch, this way you can't accidentally leave the heated seats on and drain your battery

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I would treat it like an audio amplifier and run power with medium gauge wire directly off the battery. Use an inline 20 amp fuse as close to the battery as possible.
This needs to include a relay and variable resistor switch if you don't have the controls for the heated seats. I would get all the harness equipment for the seats from the donor car as this will make it much easier on you.

Leaving the seats on without proper control WILL result in you waking up to a smoking pile of scorched metal and aluminum in the morning.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
This needs to include a relay and variable resistor switch if you don't have the controls for the heated seats. I would get all the harness equipment for the seats from the donor car as this will make it much easier on you.

Leaving the seats on without proper control WILL result in you waking up to a smoking pile of scorched metal and aluminum in the morning.
the op already has them/installed relay and harness

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
the op already has them/installed relay and harness
OP only stated wires and I like to be specific, especially when its comes to safety.

boostedSiR

so my plan is to connect an inline fuse... so a wire from the fuse to the battery, and one wire from the fuse to the seats. a problem i came across is, how do i get the wire from the inside of my car into the engine bay in order to connect to the battery? and also, do i need a ground for this?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
so my plan is to connect an inline fuse... so a wire from the fuse to the battery, and one wire from the fuse to the seats. a problem i came across is, how do i get the wire from the inside of my car into the engine bay in order to connect to the battery? and also, do i need a ground for this?
make it longer lol.....and look for a hole you can use

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
This sort of project involves running the wiring under the carpet, through the dash and firewall. That sort of thing. Anything you add to a vehicle that gets power will also need a ground.