Heater not working well - heater core problem?

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
alright well now its winter and its very cold out in mass and my heat doesnt get very hot at all ill let my car warm up and get to operating temp right below half on the gauge and the heat wont be very hot at all if my windows cracked even the littlest bit my car feels like the heats not even on, it does blow out heat but just not as hot as i want or where i believe it should be... thinking it might be a heater core? maybe a leak somewhere? im lost so if someone could help that would be amazing! thanks

RonJ

Banned
Check the coolant level in both the radiator and reservoir. Top off with coolant if necessary.

If the coolant level is fine, make sure the heater valve on the firewall opens fully when the dash heater lever is pushed to MAX.

Last edited:

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
alright will do that tomorrow and the easiest way to getting to that dash lever heater is from underneith the hood right? and thanks ronj u always know how to help lol

RonJ

Banned
Yeah, the heater valve is accessed from under the hood. It's on the firewall.

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
alright so i tried to look for the heater valve and i found the cable for the switch moving the temp from hot to cold but cant seem to figure out my slow heat . when my heats on 1-2 nothing comes out at all and when its on 3 very very little and 4 some but not as much as some of my old civics. anymore help would be appreciated thanks!!

RonJ

Banned
When the heat is set to MAX, is the heater valve positioned at fully opened? If so, you may want to try flushing out the heater core with pressurized water from a garden hose. It may be clogged with debris.

Last edited:

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
yes when the heat is set on max the heater position valve is set to max and my temp gauge sits a little below half on the gauge where i believe most hondas run

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
alright do u have a instructional on that or should i just go to a shop and have them do a full coolant flush and go from there? and i found a leak in my coolant system where the top hose meets the block/head its got 2 bolts holding it to the block it leaks there what do u suggest i use to fix that?

RonJ

Banned
alright do u have a instructional on that...

Drain the coolant and then disconnect the two heater hoses from the engine side. With the heater valve in the full open position, blast water from a garden hose through the inlet hose and direct the outlet hose water under the car.

and i found a leak in my coolant system where the top hose meets the block/head its got 2 bolts holding it to the block it leaks there what do u suggest i use to fix that?

This leak may be the cause of your heater problem. Remove the water outlet cover, clean off old gasket sealant material from mating surfaces, apply a high temp silicone gasket maker, bolt up, and let the sealant dry overnight before refilling with coolant and running engine.

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
once again thanks a lot ron for all the help will get on that once i get a good day that its not snowing lol

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how would you connect the garden hose to the heater hose?
i got the same problem and would like to try it out

mosaic_hardflip

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i thik i know your exact problem. is it pushing any warm air out at all even slightly warm? if so then your problem is probably a blend door you need to look under the dash there are doors that control the flow through your ducts i had a crx that did the same thing just follow were the temp setting cables go and you will prolly find its not opening all the way

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
would i haev to pull the dash to take a look at the blendor doors? and im gonna have my system flushed when its not snowing out lol

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
yeah i usually run it on feet or defrost and they seem to be working properly but it just doesnt seem to be blowing strong hot heat.

civicrx7nate

5+ Year Member
I believe its the heater core as well. i got the same problem i topped the coolant off, checked the under dash heater valve and engine bay heater valve, even bled the coolant system. it got a little better after bleading for me. maby thats all you need? Im going to do a complete rad / heater core flush. hope you figure it out bro. lucky for me it dosen't get that cold often in texas. my feet go numb every time it does though. lol

93Civicspeed

Could be the thermostat as well I had that problem in my old truck It wouldnt heat for jack replaced the thermostat and boom so warm was rollin in a teeshirt in a Minnesota winter