HEELLLLLPPPPP 2000 honda civic rough running and misfiring

bobbywolfe

I have a 2000 honda civic lx 1.6l d16y7 that drives fine when its cold. then once it heats up, it feels like it misfires a s*** ton at low and high rpms (car shakes violently at high rpms). At an idle it doesnt bog down or anything. it makes it sound like a rough running subaru and barely has any power!

It has 4-1 headers but everything else all stock (been that way for year and a half).

when i first start it can drive maybe 2 miles then it will start doing it.

I put a screwdriver up to the injectors and could hear them cycling on and off. all are working.

CEL is on but for a 2nd o2 which with the headers was deleted.

please help i dont want to throw parts at it.

NEW WITHIN THE PAST YEAR:
plugs
wires
distributor
air filter
radiator (main hoses also)

Thanks for the help in advance

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Inspect the spark plug gaps. If they werent properly gapped when installed, the wear since then could have worsened the gap to the current point of misfire once heated up. If you drive alot of miles yearly, its possible you need new plugs already. In short, inspect them and go from there.

bobbywolfe

i just pull the plugs and they were melted in the boots........ everyone of them.

what would that be from?

(i had to turn the whole wire ti pull the plug out. its still connected (melted) together

thanks for the reply though!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just pull the plugs and they were melted in the boots........ everyone of them. What would that be from?

(i had to turn the whole wire to pull the plug out. its still connected (melted) together
Perhaps you didnt properly seat the wires onto the plugs, thus creating a gap, and the spark arc slowly fried and melted the boots. Did you buy honda wires or some generic aftermarket wires? What type of plugs are you using? The standard NGKs should be used.

By the way, pictures could help.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Also if the spark plugs are incorrect, the spark travels the path of least resistance rather than jumping the gap. Like Hex said, also can be caused by crappy wires, wrong / damaged plugs.