'97 Civic, Type-R engine: An American in Calgary

snackwell

Respected
5+ Year Member
Hello from an American in Calgary. I have a 1997 Honda Civic EX 4-door that I just switched out the engine 2013 December for a b18c 1998 Type R. I am new to modding the car beyond stock so I will try to use the Google and the search before asking any questions. Within 6 months, the JDM engine had to have a valve replaced which I just got the car back.

My goals for my car in no particular order necessarily (and just at the time of this post):

• Redo the clear coat, other minor scratch repair
  • Upgrade the interior including seats
  • Fix the heater assembly (when the old engine failed by overheating, I broke the switch cable connection which before, just putting the cable back on worked) since taking out the dash and try to repair it myself, I broke a piece of plastic which limits the cable assembly that turns the vent (so right now, it's stuck in the middle). See, I am new at this.
  • Replace antenna (it's already been pulled out)
  • Replace instrument panel (I was told a Civic 99 siR would still fit this chassis and work with this engine?).

Last edited by a moderator:

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Welcome! Sounds like a decent ride.

Post pictures, we're whores for pictures...

Heater assembly is going to be a pain in the ass, but feasible if you have patience. Antenna is easy enough. Instrument panel, do you mean gauge cluster? You have tons of options there.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's true. We do really like pictures. Post em up! Welcome to CC!

snackwell

Respected
5+ Year Member
Hello:

Sorry to take so long to reply. I do have pictures and a couple of videos (I have other videos of the car and engine but I have to find which drive they are on).

The aptly named 1997-2001 Honda Civic Integra RSeXi (contains elements from a 1997 Honda Civic EX, 1998 Acura EL, 1998 Acura Integra Type R, 1999 Honda Civic SiR, 1999 Acura EL, 2000 Acura EL, 2001 Acura RSX).

This model minimally currently contains/will contain the following:

4 door EX body type from a 1997 Honda Civic EX -- completed
Front black heated leather seats from a 2001 Acura RSX -- purchased
Rear black leather seats from a 2000 Acura EL -- purchased
Guage cluster froam a 1999 Honda Civic SiR -- Completed
Black dashboard to allow ELECTRONIC climate control AND double-din stereo (previously, manual switch climate control and single-din) from a 1998 Acura EL -- purchased
All black interior molding from a 1998 Acura EL -- purchased
Conversion to a 5 speed manual transmission from an automatic -- Completed
Heated folding mirrors from a 2000 Acura EL -- Completed
Change to B18C JDM 1998 Acura Integra Type R -- Completed
Change from grey interior carpet to black -- purchased
Replace grey floor mats with new black Honda Civic Si logo floor mats -- purchased

Photos of the progress (including the last shots taken of current interior as of 31 August 2016):
https://vk.com/album340376975_226771266

Video filmed describing the interior and it's soon-to-be changes:
https://vk.com/video340376975_456239028

Video of the B18C JDM 1998 Acura Integra Type R engine coming to life:
https://vk.com/video340376975_171880286

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ah, the ol' 2 year later update. Better late than never though! I can't access that site at work, I'll check it out tonight! :thumbs up

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Interesting! This seems to have a nice direction that'll hopefully be completed sooner than in another 2 years. What muffler is that?

By the way, I hope you don't mind that I tweaked your title to be concise and have the attention-grabbing "Type-R" info first. I also moved your title intro into your first post.

snackwell

Respected
5+ Year Member
Interesting! This seems to have a nice direction that'll hopefully be completed sooner than in another 2 years. What muffler is that?
It's a Yonaka (either 2.75" or 3"), though the resonator is misbehaving but will probably get the same model since I do like the sound (not too loud).

By the way, I hope you don't mind that I tweaked your title to be concise and have the attention-grabbing "Type-R" info first. I also moved your title intro into your first post.
I don't mind; thanks for help. I'm not good at setting up forum titles just yet =)

Last edited by a moderator:

snackwell

Respected
5+ Year Member
A quick update, I have had the dashes switched (from the 1997 EX dash to an either 1999 or 2000 Civic EX (Si possibly) dash).

Doing that allowed me to replace the single DIN Alpine in 1997 Civic EX mechanical dash with a double DIN Kenwood in the 1999 or 2000 Civic EX electrical dash (Si possibly), the picture on the left has the old configuration with the switches for the fan and the cold/hot as well as the buttons above the switches and the single DIN Alpine while the picture of new Kenwood showcases the electrical dash.

I still have to replace most of the interior molding (from light gray to dark gray/black) which I have and will start in mid-January after all the holidays and CES are over.

The light gray carpet has been replaced with a black carpet.

The RSX front leather heated seats are installed and functioning normally; the rear leather seats are installed.

The side mirrors are installed but the heated portion has not been wired yet (I will have this done later in the spring).

The car also has a 2-way remote car starter/alarm installed.

Attachments

snackwell

Respected
5+ Year Member
Latest update:

When the temperature reaches 0°C, this is how we do it...

Remove more light grey trim in order to upgrade light grey seat belts to charcoal grey seat belts.

Replace light grey front seat belts with charcoal grey front seat belts.. check.

Add charcoal grey steering column cover.. check.

Replace light grey emergency brake with charcoal grey emergency brake.. check.

Get replacement and almost new double din electronic housing with supports from a 2000 Civic EX (the current does not have supports and cannot be locked down).. check (to be permanently installed when electrical problem described below is resolved).

Fix right rear speaker cable that was not making connection.. check.

Replace carpet behind the folding back seats.

Upcoming, get 1 more push clip or find the missing one for the carpet behind the folding back seats.

Upcoming, wash car again to remove salt/dirt.

Upcoming, vacuum black replacement carpet and install Civic Si floor mats.

Upcoming, after exterior/interior wash, film new video describing what was replaced from the previous video and what is upcoming.

Upcoming, finish up electrical upgrade to enable hazard/4-way flasher/emergency lights to work properly.

Upcoming, figure out why the battery goes below threshold when car has sat for four or more days.

Upcoming, remove interior roof and replace with black fabric coated/painted interior roof. Find interior sunroof replacement and "fades to black"

Upcoming, replace all removed and light grey interior pieces with charcoal grey equivalents already purchased.

Upcoming, film last video showing interior completion.

Upcoming, replace fog lamps since the right side glass has a hole in it and also get the correct fog lamp switch.

Upcoming, fix exterior scratches and research carbon fibre trunk and hood (leaving only the shell of the car including the bumper, the rear windshield, the rear view mirror, and the 4 doors minus the interior on the doors which was replaced, as the only original parts of the car remaining).

Happy 20th birthday to the Honda Civic Integra RSeXi.

Your future will most likely include 485hp Turbo.

snackwell

Respected
5+ Year Member
You just lost your sunroof but don't fret, a 1998 Acura EL sacrificed his (tinted sunroof) just for you. Now, your in the shade

Last edited: