Help. 2000 Honda Civic HX 5 speed

Desertsun

I can't figure out the problem, local Honda dealer seemed to have no clue (or they just didnt care) my neighborhood mechanic and auto parts guys are stumped. 140,000 miles. O2 sensors showed up as code. Replaced both of them and the gas filter Check engine light comes on, car smells like gas and white smoke coming from exhaust. It sputters and shakes and doesn't want to run. Sometimes if I don't drive it then it is ok for a little bit. The air filter is new. Can anyone help please.

Thanks

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What is the check engine light code? Did you replace with OEM O2 sensors. Hondas have been known to reject anything but the OEM ones.

Desertsun

What is the check engine light code? Did you replace with OEM O2 sensors. Hondas have been known to reject anything but the OEM ones.
The o2 sensor didn't come up in the code and the auto parts scanner didnt read a code.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Desertsun

Hondas O2 sensors are made by NTK, so you that wouldve and now should be your best bet in that regard. However, you still need to pull a code and let us know what it is before you start swapping parts that may not be the actual issue.

Read this then tell us what you think it may be...
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/04/what-does-the-smoke-from-my-exhaust-mean-.html
I read the link. Meanwhile, I drove the car and it used a half tank if has to go 14 miles. It has NEVER done that. Off to the mechanics we went where I was told they found a throttle body and throttle sensor must be replaced (fuel dumping) and then they can try to figure out what's next. I don't know if this is something we can do or if it's better to pay and have it done. That's where I'm at now.

Last edited by a moderator:

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you used 6 gallons of gasoline in 14 miles you have some serious issues with your car and it probably should not even run.

Im_Expired

White smoke from exhaust is water. Replace head gasket. Water being burned in the exhaust will cause O2 sensors to throw a code. It will also cause bad idle.