HELP: Battery draining after a couple hours, battery new and alternator is okay

Ek4C707

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
car is 1998 honda civic ex d16y8 motor

Last month my car hav e not been starting because my battery dies after using the radio for a but without the car on.

I stop doing that and it went fine until now.

I drove it normally and parked it outside and the next day I try to start it, I hear the starter trying to start but no start. Battery was at 10.5 VOLTS when I took it out.

I bought a new battery the next day (couple of days ago) and put it in. I start it up, it run good.

The next day I drive it not even a mile to a store and back and shut the car off.

Today I went to start up my car it did the same thing, starter goes, but no start

I check voltage and it was almost 11 VOLTS.

So today I took out my alternator to get it test at autozone and it tested good.

Started the car with the OLD battery and the voltage read 14.55 and went down to 14.51 and stayed around there

I let the headlights on with HIDS and it went to 14.41 and stayed there.

I drove the car around my apartment complex for 5-7 minutes and checked the voltage and it was 14.25

turn the car off and check it and it went down to 12.55

So like 3 to 3 1/2 hours later I go out to my car and before I start my car I check the voltage of my battery I have and it has 12.35 volts. Hoping it strts it doesn't

It sounds like it wants to but the starter only spins but louder and stronger than the other times then stops. Then I try to start it two more times with the gas lol didn't work

So I check the battery and it is now 11.65.

I don't know what it can be. I'm going to go buy a new battery again tomorrow. to check if that might be the problem. Even though I bought a new battery it could have been a bad one. What battery do you guys recommend?

I need to get my car running and just drive it two hours to my parents house to at work on it there. Do you think two fully charge battery would make it a two hour drive? Lol

akam89

i have the same problem so im hoping someone can answer this questions checked alternator and also change it three times so please help us..haha and thanks

OblivionEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What all aftermarket electronics do you have installed in your car, could be some sort of parasitic drain.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your battery is at 12 volts and isn't starting, your problem is NOT the battery. Also the reason that the voltage dropped down to 11 after cranking is because you WERE CRANKING and it didn't start. That will drain it.

Daddy_Digital

Haters make me FAMOUS!
Registered VIP
popping the clutch FTW lol im having the same problem right now. its usually the alternator or maybe time for a tune up.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your charging system is functioning properly replace the battery or find out what the load is that drains it. Once the car is running you should have at least 13.75 or higher volts without the radio/lights or anything on. Once you do that put all your accessories on (radio/lights/a.c/defrost) If voltage goes under 12.25, your alternator is no good or your grounds suck. This may be the reason why your battery doesnt charge.

Im thinking that there is a load slowly draining the battery. Do you have an after market sub woofer amplifier? Anything wired directly do the battery? Alarm maybe? Next time you stop and know the battery is charged well, remove the positive side of the battery. Wait a day and try to start. If its starts you have a load problem somewhere.

Ek4C707

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea I have a cd player amp and sub but I had them for about two years already. With the sane alternator and battery.

How do I do a parasitic test. ? I have good voltage when my car is running and everything but it just doesn't crank after couple of hours while the car is off.

If it's not my battery what is it