Help civic hard start cold issues

Hughey974

5+ Year Member
I'm having problems out of my 97 civic d16 and need help real bad. It's a daily driver and as far as the motor and tranny is all stock so no mods. Everytime it sits overnight or for 5-6 plus hours it's extremely hard to start. The motor turns over fine and strong so no low battery issues. It's almost like theres no fuel or no spark it just won't fire until I've tried to crank it for a few mins. After it does crank up it runs fine no problems at all it's just getting to fire after it's sit for awhile. Even after it cranks for the rest of the time as long as it don't sit for hours it will crank right back up no problem so it's only after sitting.*

**So far I've done a tune up minus plugs because they looked great. Replaced the fuel pump however with a used one. Replaced the fuel filter. Took the main relay out and resoldered it only because I seen where it gave others issues and that did not cost anything. I've also looked for a valve to check fuel pressure and caint locate one.*

** Any suggestions? I'm at a loss and really caint afford to throw parts at it if they ain't bad. Oh and check engine light is not on so no codes. Please someone help I need this car for work. Thanks ahead of time.....

nerofotia

n00b
I'm having problems out of my 97 civic d16 and need help real bad. It's a daily driver and as far as the motor and tranny is all stock so no mods. Everytime it sits overnight or for 5-6 plus hours it's extremely hard to start. The motor turns over fine and strong so no low battery issues. It's almost like theres no fuel or no spark it just won't fire until I've tried to crank it for a few mins. After it does crank up it runs fine no problems at all it's just getting to fire after it's sit for awhile. Even after it cranks for the rest of the time as long as it don't sit for hours it will crank right back up no problem so it's only after sitting.*

**So far I've done a tune up minus plugs because they looked great. Replaced the fuel pump however with a used one. Replaced the fuel filter. Took the main relay out and resoldered it only because I seen where it gave others issues and that did not cost anything. I've also looked for a valve to check fuel pressure and caint locate one.*

** Any suggestions? I'm at a loss and really caint afford to throw parts at it if they ain't bad. Oh and check engine light is not on so no codes. Please someone help I need this car for work. Thanks ahead of time.....
When you put the key in, before you turn it completely over, listen for the fuel pump to engage and build up pressure, then disengage. After it's got the pressure built up, THEN start it up. Any change?

Hughey974

5+ Year Member
No that makes no difference, I can hear it just fine and stop once it gets pressure. Even tried to "prime" the system by turning the key on and off several letting the fuel pump to come on and stop before I turned it over. Done as much as 10 cycles before I turned it over but no change. Acted the same with both fuel pumps.

ffrroger_01

5+ Year Member
if the pump pumps then look into the ignition system chances are you are not getting spark.

RonJ

Banned
^Correct

When the engine won't start, check for spark at the plugs. Click the spark link in my signature.

Does the CEL work?

Hughey974

5+ Year Member
Cool I will check the spark when I get home from work. As for the CEL it's not on nor has it came on, it's working at startup so it's working correctly but no CEL is on showing a problem.

RonJ

Banned
If spark is weak or non-existent when engine won't start, then test the coil and take the ICM to an auto parts store for testing.

Hughey974

5+ Year Member
Ron I can see you have a wealth of information, as soon as I got home I grabbed my meter and jumped under the hood. This might be a dumb question but where is this coil pack? Sorry but I could not find it and it's a 97, I can do a compression test later but I just got home and would like to rule out what I can first. Thanks again

Oops sorry it's in the cap, long day at work!!!!! Will post results shortly on the coil.

Last edited:

Hughey974

5+ Year Member
Coil results

TEC Coil

Primary (a&b) = 0.9 ohms
Secondary (a&secondary) = 16.03k ohms

Hughey974

5+ Year Member
Ok i took the ICM to the store, well it tested to be bad. I think i will goto a different shop and get it tested again just because the guy who tested it well he had never done that before and the other guy only did one other. Not to mention they did not even have one to replace it so it really did not matter. I sure hope this dont turn out to be another dead end. I will let yall know the results.

RonJ

Banned
The primary winding resistance of the coil may be out of spec. What is the resistance reading you get when the two meter probes are touched together?

Definitely get somebody else to test the ICM as well.

blackdemon88

I am sorry I am bringing a 3 year old thread back but I was doing a search and am having the exact same problem. My civic is a 1989 DX. I have done the exact same things that HUGHEY974 has and am having the same problems. Mine is a little different in that if I actually "tap" the starter once or twice the car will start right up. However if I don't tap the starter it will take up to 12 seconds to start the car when cold. Are the readings on the coil supposed to be similar to the ones that RonJ had for the 97? Any help would be really appreciated! Thank you.

RonJ

Banned
I am sorry I am bringing a 3 year old thread back but I was doing a search and am having the exact same problem. My civic is a 1989 DX. I have done the exact same things that HUGHEY974 has and am having the same problems. Mine is a little different in that if I actually "tap" the starter once or twice the car will start right up. However if I don't tap the starter it will take up to 12 seconds to start the car when cold. Are the readings on the coil supposed to be similar to the ones that RonJ had for the 97? Any help would be really appreciated! Thank you.
You are having a cranking problem (starter) whereas the OP was having a cranks-but-won't-start problem -- different animals.

It would be best for you to create your own new thread, providing details about the car and problem.

blackdemon88

RonJ if you could look at my posting I put under 4th generation civics about my problem when you have a free minute or two I would appreciate it. You have helped me before and you really know what your talking about when it comes to helping people with their Hondas. Thank you very much for any ideas you can give me.