Help... Install Cam Gear?

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How to: Install Cam Gear?

Alright a couple days ago I bought a new timing belt, cause its about time to change it out. Also though I bought an AEM Cam Gear, which I know goes right along with the timing belt, so I was wondering is a cam gear something you can install yourself? I saw the how-to on the timing belt, so I figure Ill do it myself, but want to know if I can do the cam gear as well. Anybody experienced doing a cam gear before? Can you just install it without any tuning? - cause I know you can either retard or advance timing. Any advice would be helpful.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
honestly it is not going to help you...just put it on and set it to 0.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
At TDC (Top Dead Center) right? Well if you have a dyno and tune it, it could help :P

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
on a SOHC not enough to worry with it..you cant tune the intake seperatly, if you read a lot of articles on DOHC tuning you will find that most of the gains are found in just advancing the intake alone..you dont have this ablity.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I know, on DOHC is where you find power gains with cam gears...I was just saying that there you can set the gear to either advanced or retard timing...

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes that is why it is adjustable...

stolle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have the how to on installing the timing belt the cam gear will be cake simply remove the stock cam gear and replace it with the adjustable one line up all the marks just like the stock cam gear and put the new belt on. the bolt for the cam gear is torqued to 27ftlbs and the bolts on the cam gear are torqued to 15ftlbs. adjustable cam gears on sohc's really arent that usefull unless you have an aftermarket cam about all you can do with a stock cam is move the powerband around retard cam timing and your power will come on in higher rpms advance the cam timing and you power will peak out in the lower rpms between 5-6K rpm this could be used to improve drivablitity so your not rapping out your motor all the time to get power out of it but weres the fun in that? i have a cam gear i have it set 2 degrees retard...

edit: to be clear cam timing and ignition timing are not related and are ajusted independently...one with the cam gear and one by rotating the distributor...