Help Needed. car keeps randomly not starting

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
i have a 1998 civic dx. 117k original miles. The fuel pump went out around october and was replaced. ever since then, ive rarely driven it but sometimes it just wont start. it will start fine first thing in the morning, but if i drive it to the store or anything, sometimes the check engine light will come on and the whole car dies. then i turn the key to try to hear the fuel pump humm and i hear nothing. after about 30 seconds, it will humm and start back up. other times if i turn the car off, then start it again soon after, the fuel pump wont humm and the car wont start. someone please help im tired of breaking down in the middle of the road everyday. what could this be? all the local shops keep telling me its fine and im starting to lose patience. thanks in advance.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like it could possibly be a main relay. The main relay pretty much sends a signal to the fuel pump to prime. Hopefully RonJ will come in here and shed some light on your situation though lol

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
i had a local friend that told me it could be main relay. and im really hoping ron j or someone can help me get an answer. the mechanics ive seen are worthless

lowandslowek

Sounds like it could possibly be a main relay. The main relay pretty much sends a signal to the fuel pump to prime. Hopefully RonJ will come in here and shed some light on your situation though lol
this is where you should start....... cheap and easy.....

RonJ

Banned
Bad main relays are much more common for 4th and 5th generation Civics than for 6th generation Civics (96-00).

When the CEL turns on, it means that a problem in a sensor circuit was detected and that a code is stored in the ECU. The next step is to pull the CEL code by jumping the service connector. Click the CEL link in my signature to learn how to do this at home. Post the code here and then reset the ECU to see whether the same code repeats.