Help please! Cranks but won't start

erichreneau

5+ Year Member
I got in my car today to go to work and it would start. It turns over but doesn't start. I drove it monday all day fine with no signs of anything wrong. I needed to move it yestewrday in my driveway but didn't have my keys on me so just hopped in and held the clutch down since my driveway is a little bit of a hill. That's the only thing I've done in it. I checked the oil and it was very low, so i added some.

Someone please help me. The fact that my car is turning over means it can't be locked up right??

Brad81685

Try removing the gas cap and putting it back, and see if it starts. Mine is doing this and starts after i remove and replace the cap, trying ti figure out whats wrong now.

erichreneau

5+ Year Member
hmmm... my car usually releases pressure when i remove the gas tank to fill up and i noticed it didn't do that last time i filled up... does that mean anything???

RonJ

Banned
Never let your engine oil run low.

Make sure you are not out of gas and then do this:

1) Turn the key to ON(II) and listen very carefully for the low humming noise of the fuel pump priming in the rear for 2 seconds. Did you hear it?

2) Click the Spark link in my signature to learn how to check for spark. Do you have bright white spark at all four plugs?

3) Click the CEL link in my signature. Any CEL codes?

Last edited:

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when you turn the key to on (II) do you hear the fuel pump prime? if no then your fuel pump MAY need replacing... or checking the wires... go out, just turn 2 clicks and listen, if u dont hear a low humm then it didn't prime

erichreneau

5+ Year Member
Rons the man. I'm at work but as soon asi get home i'm going to follow these steps to make sure my fuel pump is priming... and i just replaced the plugs and wires 2 months ago...

RonJ

Banned
... and i just replaced the plugs and wires 2 months ago...
This has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not there is spark at the plugs.

Do ALL of the troubleshooting steps I mentioned because together they will help to pinpoint the problem.

erichreneau

5+ Year Member
Just got home to check the fuel pump... it primed and started!! i don't get it. i spent like 20 minutes earlier today trying to start it and it wouldn't crank and now it started like nothing was wrong.

do i still need to check for a spark?

RonJ

Banned
Just got home to check the fuel pump... it primed and started!! i don't get it. i spent like 20 minutes earlier today trying to start it and it wouldn't crank and now it started like nothing was wrong.

do i still need to check for a spark?
No, the priming and spark tests only yield useful information when the engine won't start.

Any CEL codes?

---------------------------------------------------
In the meantime, resolder the main relay:

http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html

------------------------------

Last edited:

ffrroger_01

5+ Year Member
I had the same problem a while back the car decided if it wanted to run or not. The problem was with the main relay after replacing it the problem went away. Before replacing it I would sit there and wait for it to click to prime the fuel pump so it would start. Next time it doesn't start just sit there with it for a while and see it the relay will do its job or not.

erichreneau

5+ Year Member
yeah i got in it today and no problem either. i haven't had time to take a look at the main relay but i looked at the link provided by Ron and resoldering it seems pretty straight forward so that's gonna be my weekend project.