Help with oil leak at distributor

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont need to rotate the engine...

the camshaft is sloted at the end and is not center slotted.. and the distributor has a tab...which will match the slot...

there is no possible way to f**k it up when you put it back on. NEVER force it together... it will go back together as easy as it came off. if you find yourself having to force it... then it isnt lined up. take it off and spin the distributor until it matches.

dont worry about that note there on the service manual... its unnecessary.

RonJ

Banned
I'd like to try for myself but a little worried about pulling the distributor out and then setting the timing on my car.
I agree with what Chris said. In addition, before you remove the distributor, use a Sharpie marker to draw a line across a point where the distributor meets the head. This way, when you reinstall the distributor, it will still be in time if you align the mark on the distributor and head.

dead man

I got the same problem. Replaced the 2 dollar o-ring,the old one was still pliable, still slow oil leak. Changed valve cover gasket with the spark plug chute seals just to make sure. I also saw a bushing for 12 dollars on the parts website where I purchased the o-ring . Could that be the problem? Nothing has fixed the problem so far.

Last edited:

stateofjustin

Ditto, anything rubber on a '91 that hasn't been replaced is probably hard as a rock and shot as a seal. VC gasket, plug tube gaskets, diz O-ring, valve cover bolt gaskets... the vc gasket is the one in position to contribute to that leak aside from the dizzy O-ring.

As far as I recall, there is a bearing in the dizzy with an oil seal, when that one wears out it is generally not serviceable and at least that part of the distributor must be replaced. Haven't seen it on a Honda, but late 80's Toyotas all the time. You'd have a little to a lot of oil inside the cap though.