Help with transmission problem

michellek

We just bought our son his first car a week ago. A 2002 Honda civic ex Automatic transmission. Well we noticed the very next day when it was cold, shifting from 2 to 3 gear it didn't shift, the rpms went way up momentarily before it shifted into gear. It only does this when it's cold. Does this mean a tranny rebuild? Has anyone else experienced this and know or have any ideas hopefully NOT a tranny rebuil?
Thanks,

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this is a common problem most likely the transmission will need to be replaced. there usually around 800-900 dollars for a used one then another grand to have it replaced.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Before condemning it check the condition of the fluid. If its brown or smells burnt you could do a drain and fill. Also try putting in half a bottle of kendall limited-slip additive. I have seen it cure some hard shifting and slipping in the clutch packs. Can't rule out internal problems, but its worth a shot considering you don't know the history of the maintenance.

michellek

Thanks for the responses. The fluid was just recently changed however it does smell like it was burnt before. The reason we didn't notice it is because the car was already warmed up when we look at it and it only does it when it's cold, like the first couple of times then it stops. I'll tell my husband and maybe give that a try. Thanks for the tip