Help?

woah_amie

My first post here, say I'd like to say hello! =)

I have a 2003 Honda Civic, 61,000 miles. <--- Super low, I know! :suprise:

I'm in the market to buy a new Honda (in between the Civic and the Fit)

I'm trying to get my car to the highest resale value as I possibly can.

But I have a few questions: (opinions, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated!)
1. My headlights aren't as bright as they used to be. Would it be better to replace them with new ones, or just try to buff them out (yellowness) and replace the bulbs?

2. My lining on the roof is sagging a bit, near the windshield. It's not horrible, but I know it throws people off. Replace the whole thing or just use some spray adhesive?

3. Exactly how hard is it to replace the windshield washer fluid hose? I called my local Honda dealership and they said I'd have to bring in the car to see what exactly is wrong with it. I know there's a hole in it, but don't know the extent of it.

I also have a 'check engine' light on, but forgot the code. I'd have to get it checked and ask you guys on what I should do with it. I think it has something to do with the gas tank. I don't know, I forget sometimes when people tell me things. LOL.:roll:

THANKS! AND SORRY FOR THE LONG POST! :oops:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First...welcome to clubcivic.

Second...you might want to change your thread title to reflect what you are asking. Most people skip over lazy titles like this one.

Third...nothing you mentioned will add value to the vehicle. It normal wear and tear. Sure it will be pleasing to the buyer but it won't "get the highest value" out of the car.

If you are selling it I wouldn't worry about any of it except for the check engine light. Figure out if it is something major and go from there.

If the headliner bugs you that bad trow some glue on it.

woah_amie

Help? Opinions need. Resale value?

First...welcome to clubcivic.

Second...you might want to change your thread title to reflect what you are asking. Most people skip over lazy titles like this one.

Third...nothing you mentioned will add value to the vehicle. It normal wear and tear. Sure it will be pleasing to the buyer but it won't "get the highest value" out of the car.

If you are selling it I wouldn't worry about any of it except for the check engine light. Figure out if it is something major and go from there.

If the headliner bugs you that bad trow some glue on it.
Hm, and I thought having a car in near perfect condition would help me out a bit more. I do have a huge dent on the side of my rear passenger door (some a*****e hit my car in a hit & run :evil:) I know I gotta get that fixed.

But yeah, I'd have to go to an auto parts store to check on the light again. First time it came on, they said cause I didn't close the gas lid correctly. Got that taken care of, then the next day the one I have now came on. :(

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hm, and I thought having a car in near perfect condition
I do have a huge dent on the side of my rear passenger door.
Pretty sure you don't have a near perfect condition car, even with repairs.

From KBB's site:
Excellent:
3% of all cars we value meet this criteria. This car looks new and is in excellent mechanical condition. It has never had paint or bodywork and has an interior and body free of wear and visible defects. The car is rust-free and does not need reconditioning. Its clean engine compartment is free of fluid leaks. It also has a clean title history, has complete and verifiable service records and will pass safety and smog inspection.

How much do you think you can even get for the car?

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1. Restore the lenses, the less negative things for a person to look at, the better.

2. If you are skilled enough to pull it, go for it. A light coating of adhesive spray will help out. Again, the less blatantly obvious things wrong the better. No one will want the car if it looks like you just don't care about it.

3. It is Plastic/vinyl/rubber tubing. Should not be too hard to replace. Find the size you need and spend like $10 and that should be enough.

Most important thing to me would be to get that CEL fixed. For the body damage, can you find a replacement door in the same color? That might be easier if the damage is obvious.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hm, and I thought having a car in near perfect condition would help me out a bit more. I do have a huge dent on the side of my rear passenger door (some a*****e hit my car in a hit & run :evil:) I know I gotta get that fixed.

But yeah, I'd have to go to an auto parts store to check on the light again. First time it came on, they said cause I didn't close the gas lid correctly. Got that taken care of, then the next day the one I have now came on. :(
I haven't seen the car but just from the description you gave I can tell it isn't going to be near perfect after you address everything. To be near perfect it better look like it just rolled out of the showroom floor AND have very low miles.

Just sell it as is and move on. Unless you want to try and get more out of it by fixing it. There is a 90% chance you will be wasting your money trying to squeeze that last little amount out if it. Take the dent for example: I don't know how bad so I am going to throw a guess. You spend $1000 fixing that dent. I can almost guarantee you won't get an extra $1000 out of the car just by doing that.