Helping out a friend

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A friend of mine has a 1993 Honda Civic hatchback. We have no clue what model it is. We do however know it is a Canadian model Civic (Honda of Canada sticker on the bay). The bay is blue, and so was the car at one time. So that's the first question. What model is it? Also, he's been having this strange problem we both can't figure out. I've researched it tons of times. The car has a D16Y7 block, but I think he told me it had a mini me swap done, however I can't be entirely sure. I don't know when it started, but the car idle surges. I tried suggesting bleeding the coolant and noticed there was no bleeder screw on the car. It starts alright and will idle high until it warms up a little, then it will idle surge. The car drives fine but will stall sometimes if you don't rev it. He says it's embarrassing to drive when you're stopped and the car revs up and down.

RonJ

Banned
Try cleaning and adjusting the FITV. Any CEL codes?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If it has a mini-me you should be able to find the vtec solenoid behind the motor towards the left. It's a little cylinder looking thing.

Also, that sounds like it could also be a vacuum leak somewhere, or even an o2 sensor issue?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No CELs. He was gonna spend the money and get a new FITV and see what that does.

It might not have a minime then cause I would've notice the solenoid, however, I wasn't really looking for stuff like that so I could've missed it. O2 sensor is possible but I didn't think it could cause idle surging.

RonJ

Banned
Click the FITV link in my signature.

You will know whether the FITV is the problem by doing the following test. When the engine is warm and the idle is surging, pull the intake off and then place your finger over the port inside the throttle body leading to the FITV. If you feel ANY suction, the FITV is the problem and needs to be cleaned and adjusted. Blocking the port with your finger should also cause the idle speed to stabilize and idle normally.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll let him know that quick. Do you mean cup the throttle body with the palm or what?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just saw that. I told him to do that and get back to me, so I'll let you know what appens.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So, found out my friend plugged the hole and the idle stopped surging and there was suction so I told him to get a new FITV and if it worked when he puts it on he`s good. I still wanna know what model the car is though.

emerican

Registered VIP
You got any way to run the vin or regiestration number or carfax it carfax has the model on there i believe havent used it in a long time.

RonJ

Banned
So, found out my friend plugged the hole and the idle stopped surging and there was suction so I told him to get a new FITV and if it worked when he puts it on he`s good. I still wanna know what model the car is though.
It's premature to tell your friend to buy a new FITV because the problem can generally be fixed by cleaning and adjusting it. Did you click the FITV link in my signature?

emerican

Registered VIP
Thats a way of working on cars that i just dont practice go buy something and put it on and that may fix the problem. Or he may not need to buy a new one just clean that one but he will go through buying and install for nothing.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did read the link. I told him to clean it. I'll see.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I told him to get a new one cause he said his was just shot, and it was garbage.