Honda Factory Warranty & Modification Question?

Donny Fuego

Hello Everyone,

I bought a new 2015 LX Coupe w/Manual Transmission back in March and am extremely happy with my purchase. The car is everything a 20-something year old working guy could want. It's reliable, stylish, sporty, quick, economical, and durable. I went new vs. used because I wanted to maximize the warranty and on the car, and the price differences I was finding were only a couple grand.

This is the first new vehicle I've purchased, and my question is simple. If I start to add some performance modifications (intake, catback, HIDs, etc.) is it going to mess with the 3yr/36k mile warranty the car comes with?

Thanks so much!

- Proud Civic Owner

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ANYTHING you put on there, if there is a failure they can use that against you and deny a warranty claim. I see it all the time at work. Exhaust is usually ok, but I wouldn't go messing with any tuning (that has had quite a few claims thrown out at work when they find out), intake, or anything else like that. H.I.D.s is a d**k move if you have regular housing headlights and not ones built for them as you blind everyone else on the road, but it won't void warranty because bulbs aren't covered anyway, they are a normal wear item.

Honestly, I wouldn't risk it if it were me. You bought new specifically because of the warranty, why put that in jeopardy with "what ifs"? Ultimately it is up to the warranty administrators and they are trained to scrutinize the hell out of the claims. I have seen claims thrown out for simple stupid stuff. It's crazy. They look for ANY excuse they can find to not cover. Drive it until the warranty is up, then modify away.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have seen claims thrown out for simple stupid stuff. It's crazy. They look for ANY excuse they can find to not cover. Drive it until the warranty is up, then modify away.
I had a claim thrown out when there was a hole in my transmission.. the reason? My tires were bald, so they cited neglect.

6 weeks and a lot of bitching later they covered it, but it was a nightmare to go through.

(that was also 6 weeks with no car...)

Donny Fuego

Thanks so much for the responses guys. I think that'll be the gameplan for me. I'll wait until 36K then start mod'ing...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with Lethal & Xploders points, specifically NOT to get HIDs in non-projector headlights. Instead consider some PIAA bulbs if brightness is what you're after. I also suggest your read your warranty information in detail in order to make an educated decision over one based on assumptions. Also, don't waste your money on an intake, thats useless on a stock LX, and spend it on a K&N drop-in filter that does not void warranties.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a claim thrown out when there was a hole in my transmission.. the reason? My tires were bald, so they cited neglect.

6 weeks and a lot of bitching later they covered it, but it was a nightmare to go through.

(that was also 6 weeks with no car...)

Dude! We have a claim that was thrown out Friday. 2015 Cayenne with a blown head gasket leading to a frozen engine.

Reason the claim was thrown out: Owner kept driving on it after we told her of a leaking water pump. Keep in mind that the water pump was WELL under warranty parameters. She didn't want to leave the car to fix the water pump FOR FREE, with a FREE loaner car because she is a spoiled rich biotch and another one of many people that are in the "dealership is out to get you club". Decided to take the car and bring it in when she damn well felt like it. Well, it was towed in 4 months later, with a seized engine. Put some oil down the spark plug holes and it turns over now, but it is spewing coolant out of every orifice that it can find a way out of.

Porsche said they will pay for the water pump that failed, but because she kept on going after the found bad pump, they won't cover the engine. $22k just for the engine, not including labor to install.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dude! We have a claim that was thrown out Friday. 2015 Cayenne with a blown head gasket leading to a frozen engine.

Reason the claim was thrown out: Owner kept driving on it after we told her of a leaking water pump. Keep in mind that the water pump was WELL under warranty parameters. She didn't want to leave the car to fix the water pump FOR FREE, with a FREE loaner car because she is a spoiled rich biotch and another one of many people that are in the "dealership is out to get you club". Decided to take the car and bring it in when she damn well felt like it. Well, it was towed in 4 months later, with a seized engine. Put some oil down the spark plug holes and it turns over now, but it is spewing coolant out of every orifice that it can find a way out of.

Porsche said they will pay for the water pump that failed, but because she kept on going after the found bad pump, they won't cover the engine. $22k just for the engine, not including labor to install.
OUCH. That really blows. Sucks for her though. Lesson (hopefully) learned.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OUCH. That really blows. Sucks for her though. Lesson (hopefully) learned.
:lol: Learned the very hard way. She traded it in to us. Took a huge loss on it for trade in value. We will come out ahead either by sending this to the auction or fixing it and flipping it with a new motor installed by our certified techs so it can be ran through CPO (Certified Pre-Owned). :thumbs up

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

That serves her right. Too bad shes probably to selfish and ignorant to ever admit her fault. People like that seldomly snap out of their ignorance. I love hearing striescwhen they get screwed though.