1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

Honda Newb with timing and speedometer issues

Discussion in '6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)' started by mrbigA47, Sep 24, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

I could not open that zip file; however I did find this image. It is a diagram of the timing marks for a D16W1 engine. My set up is almost identical

Attached Files:

2. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

What do you mean by almost? It should be exact. Post pics cam and crank.

The horizontal cam marks most likely align with the top surface of the head.

3. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

No photos because I've already reassembled the car. The marks are horizontal even though they do not match the engine marks

4. boofoo

Verify alignment of cam TDC1 marks with the top of the head. The timing may be off by one tooth or you need to adjust the idle properly.

5. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

That was my intent. I will try again aligning the marks with the head instead of the triangles

6. boofoo

It's easier to check the cam timing using the TDC1 timing marks on the rear side of the cam pulley.

7. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

I will take it apart again Saturday. Sunday I will provide an update.

8. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

Sorry for the late post, but I have some good news. I replaced the gauge cluster with one from a 98 Civic LX (it has a tach), the steering wheel, the VSS and adjusted the TPS. The car idles a lot better now and the gauges work; however the SRS LED stays on and the gauges are off (tach starts around 1000 -1200 and the speedometer about 30 mph).

9. boofoo

Did the SRS light turn on only after replacing the steering wheel?

Sounds like the tach and speedo are bad in the cluster.

10. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

I saw a video on calibrating the tach and speedometer. There was also on resetting the SRS. Going to try both tomorrow and update when I'm done.

11. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

UPDATE:

I verified mechanical timing Thursday. The car ran smoothly with the exception of a high idle and minor surge. It was suggested that I test the MAP by unplugging the sensor and see if the car continues to run. It did, so I replaced the MAP and throttle body gasket. The surge returned with a VENGENCE. To date, I have replaced the VSS, IAVC, TSP, PCV valve and the MAP (today). Anymore ideas?

Oh yeah, the car has no CELs

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  12. civteck

civteck Respected

Iac on the back of the intake will do that, sounds like a surging dsm when its stuck. It can be cleaned to operate properly.

Sent from my boujea ass phone

13. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

I will check it tomorrow. It is dark out now. How would the IAC get stuck so quickly though? The new one has only been on less than 3 months and I do not drive the car often.

14. boofoo

When the idle is high and surging, remove the air intake. Cover the IACV hole in the TB with your finger. Does the idle speed drop to low rpm and does the surging disappear?

15. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

I've seen that before on a YouTube video. Didn't think about it because I changed the IACV during our earlier exchanges. I didn't think they would stick so early. Unfortunately, I do not have adequate lighting in my garage to test the IACV tonight. Will post the results tomorrow.

16. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

Thank you BOTH for the assistance. I was back on the sidelines again

17. boofoo

Please understand that the diagnostic test I am suggesting should lead you to the problem whether it be the IACV or something else.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  18. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

I tried it and the surging idle didn't go away; however there was a "sucking air" sound when I shut the car off

19. boofoo

There ya go. Locate and fix the intake air or vacuum leak and your idle issue should be solved.

20. civteck

civteck Respected

If there is a vac leak while idling spray carb cleaner or starter fluid around all joints, hoses and sensors, map, iac etc. Do not over spray and keep fire tools close. If the engine surges or revs you are close to your leak(s).

Sent from my boujea ass phone