1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

Honda Newb with timing and speedometer issues

Discussion in '6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)' started by mrbigA47, Sep 24, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

The initial focus should be on a vacuum hose that you forgot to connect. If that gives no joy, consider replacing the IM and TB gaskets. Be sure to torque the nuts and bolts to spec with a torque wrench.

2. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

The throttle body gasket was the culprit. New one did not cover the same area as the old one. The car is running well again; HOWEVER, the idle still reads high (1100). I adjusted the idle screw on the TB to no avail. My gauge cluster came out of an LX Civic (98); I wanted a tach. Speedometer is also off (starts at 20). Could it be the gauges just need to be calibrated? The car sounds fine; unfortunately I am not versed enough on Hondas to attempt to tune by ear.

3. boofoo

The proper idle adjust procedure can be found in the service manual. You also need an external tach or code reader that reads engine rpm because the cluster tach is highly inaccurate at low rpm.

Also check whether the throttle cable is adjusted a bit too tightly.

4. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

Ok. Can the gauges be calibrated or should I hunt for another cluster, preferably the original DX one, from the salvage yard? There is a 2nd outlet on the rear of the LX cluster that my DX wire harness has nothing for.

5. boofoo

Maybe I missed something. What makes you think the tach requires calibration?

6. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

I was speaking more for the speedometer, but they both can from the same vehicle and the old speedometer worked fine.

7. boofoo

All six generation civic speedometers read approximately 3 mph lower than reality. Is that important to you?

8. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

That's good to know. My speedometer starts at zero when at 20 mph and will not go below that until the car is off. The fact my old one did not do that is what generates this question. Wish I had NOT thrown it away.

9. boofoo

The speedometer may be bad.

Is code 17 thrown?

10. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

No CELs.

11. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

Newb is a fitting term for me. It turns out the high idle was caused by me setting timing from the wrong mark. Timing is advanced. Good news is there are no vacuum leaks.

12. mrbigA47

mrbigA47 New Member

I have finally corrected my idle issue. I had to adjust the throttle "bump stop" screw in order to get it right. Just have to verify manual timing again and its off to the next facet of this project. Thanks for your assistance and by chance would you have a diagram of a Civic's rear door? Mine does not open from the out or inside.