honda noob in need of advice

nine

hi everyone i have a 91 ef hatch in my garage that im considering buying, the current owner has invested quite a bit but is ready to move on to a new project. heres whats done to my knowledge. b18a1 swap, hassport mounts, skunk2 pro series intake manifold, bbk 70mm throttle body, skunk2 cold air intake, skunk2 adjustable cam gears, msd 6a ignition with msd power cap and coil, tailor '409' race wires, venom fuel rail, nitrous works wet system, 4-2-1 header to purple horny glasspack to 2 inch straight pipe exits infront of rear wheel. so my first question is what do i need to do next to optimize the current setup? the car still has stock injectors and ecu so start there? any ideas what kinda hp or 1/4's i could make? and my other question is whats this car roughly worth? it has ZERO rust, mango orange paint, no interior, 10pnt roll cage, coil overs, camber correction kit, autometer monster tach & 160mph speedo. digital a/f ratio, oil press, water temp and fuel level guages, battery to trunk kit, and only flaws are a damaged hood and non matching wheels

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

Post up some pictures so we can really get an understanding of the car. Parts sound nice, but for all we know it could be a hack job.

nine

haha thanks it doesnt seemed to be hacked tho, and it runs ok other than it does hesitate under 2k when i try to move without launching lol. i know the owner and have been friends with him since before the build. this car has been running with no probs on the b18 since he bought it in 07. he did all the bolt ons in 2011 an i forgot to ad he also did a stage 3 clutch and new waterpump and timing kit but still didnt get the gains he wanted (ran 15's i think, never tried the nitrous either) so he just streeted it on the weekends and has only put 400mi on it to date. my biggest questions were 1. what will bigger injectors and ecu do? and what should i pay for this car?

and yea ill deff get some pics up as soon as i can

Last edited by a moderator:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
haha thanks it doesnt seemed to be hacked tho, and it runs ok other than it does hesitate under 2k when i try to move without launching lol. i know the owner and have been friends with him since before the build. this car has been running with no probs on the b18 since he bought it in 07. he did all the bolt ons in 2011 an i forgot to ad he also did a stage 3 clutch and new waterpump and timing kit but still didnt get the gains he wanted (ran 15's i think, never tried the nitrous either) so he just streeted it on the weekends and has only put 400mi on it to date. my biggest questions were 1. what will bigger injectors and ecu do? and what should i pay for this car?
Nothing, its a bolt on LS it doesn't need bigger injectors or another ecu

Tear everything off that he did and take it back to stock except the bolt ons

Put slicks on it ,learn to drive it and go run high 13s. A gutted EF with an LS can do that all day with the right driver and altitude.

RonJ

Banned
What ECU is installed and what CEL codes are thrown?

How much do you plan to pay for somebody else's project? In general, purchasing a project car is a risky proposition because you inherit all of the PO's mistakes, which are often time consuming to find and fix. There's no clear road map to follow.

How much experience with cars and car mods do you have?

nine

wow 13s would be cool thanks for the info, and even with the race manifold and bigger throttle body i dont need a chip or diff map burnt in?

ill check for codes and figure out what ecu here shortly, and idk he said make an offer but im new to the honda scene an i have no clue what a fair price for this car is so i was hoping to get some opinions

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
wow 13s would be cool thanks for the info, and even with the race manifold and bigger throttle body i dont need a chip or diff map burnt in?
RETURN.BACK.TO.STOCK

All of it

Sell it all and spend the money on college and condoms, both better investments in the long run

RonJ

Banned
i have no clue what a fair price for this car is so i was hoping to get some opinions
Wrong forum. There's a separate section for these^ types of non-technical questions.

In general, modified cars lose value, whereas unmodified stock cars in good condition have higher value. Watch out, because it sounds to me like the PO is trying to unload a nightmare.

In what state do you live? Will emission laws there allow this car to pass inspection?

nine

ok so i guess i can have the car for a $1500, ronj i live in ohio and my county does have e-check, the car passed and was plated before the exhaust and intake were done. i know ill obviously have to put a cat, muffler, and rear exit on and im cool with that ($107 on ebay). also as far as experience im somwhat experienced but with a limited knowledge especially ecu's and tuning. ive installed a few shortblock engines and done other mechanical repairs / minor mods but it was on fords mostly first gen focus. and bloodshot thanks for the input im gonna take your advice because the car comes with all its stock parts, he saved everything. if i were to reinvest the money what would be the most bang for my buck after the slicks? im wondering if i can get this car in the 12's relitively cheap or if i should cut the cage out and put interior in.

RonJ

Banned
the car passed and was plated before the exhaust and intake were done. i know ill obviously have to put a cat, muffler, and rear exit on and im cool with that ($107 on ebay).
How sure are you that these^ are the only changes made since the car last passed inspection? Are you basing your conclusions on promises made by the PO. If so, be extremely wary as the seller has a financial interest in the matter - caveat emptor.

also as far as experience im somwhat experienced but with a limited knowledge especially ecu's and tuning.
This^ suggests to me that you don't yet have adequate knowledge to make an intelligent purchase. You may be unknowingly walking into a money pit and car nightmare. Slow down. Believe nothing that the PO tells you unless you see it yourself or can verify it in writing.

$1500 is not a large sum of money. It's the high cost and time investment potentially associated with modifying/repairing the car to your ultimate goal.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
The interior is up to you.

You should just work on getting the car back to stock before buying anything else

You never mentioned the suspension

nine

How sure are you that these^ are the only changes made since the car last passed inspection? Are you basing your conclusions on promises made by the PO. If so, be extremely wary as the seller has a financial interest in the matter - caveat emptor.

This^ suggests to me that you don't yet have adequate knowledge to make an intelligent purchase. You may be unknowingly walking into a money pit and car nightmare. Slow down. Believe nothing that the PO tells you unless you see it yourself or can verify it in writing.

$1500 is not a large sum of money. It's the high cost and time investment potentially associated with modifying/repairing the car to your ultimate goal.
im good friends with the PO ive seen the car go thru all its stages of the build while he was driving it. plus its too late i impusivly responded with a $1000 counter offer and i now own it. im ok with the time investment i enjoy tinkering with my vehicles/4wheelers.

The interior is up to you.

You should just work on getting the car back to stock before buying anything else

You never mentioned the suspension
will do, and suspension is just coilovers and idk what springrate but their stiff, i could jump on the bumper and i bet the car dont move a 1/8th inch lol. any opinion on the cheap'o ebay fwd traction bars?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
will do, and suspension is just coilovers and idk what springrate but their stiff, i could jump on the bumper and i bet the car dont move a 1/8th inch lol. any opinion on the cheap'o ebay fwd traction bars?
You should invest in a better setup

As for the bold.....my opinion is you should dip your head in lighter fluid and run through some fireworks. At least that will be funny where as a failed traction bar wrapping you and your car around a "You can't enter Heaven unless Jesus enters you" sign is just plain sad.

Do not buy a "cheap'o ebay traction bar"

nine

You should invest in a better setup

As for the bold.....my opinion is you should dip your head in lighter fluid and run through some fireworks. At least that will be funny where as a failed traction bar wrapping you and your car around a "You can't enter Heaven unless Jesus enters you" sign is just plain sad.

Do not buy a "cheap'o ebay traction bar"
hahaha lmao ok, and what kinda better set up?

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I can't help but see Zoolander ask if these are photos for ants. Make the mo'bigguh. Man, those gauges... Keep us updated on how it goes.