hood latch stuck shut

shahid.salim213

Si-d
5+ Year Member
what is the best way to access the hood latch or even poppin da hood open?on the other end wit the lever i noticed that the entire cable has moved forward instead of the plastic part being held on the lever assembly..pulling with pliers on the cable doesnt work..tried the push down on the hood while another person pulls on the lever...it doesnt work too...im assuming the ball on the cable came off the latch and now pulling does nothing...as far as i know the movable part of the latch is on the backside of the latch and cant be accessed through the front??
and before u guys flame..i already did a search...

ge_ej1

5+ Year Member
shahid.salim213 said:
what is the best way to access the hood latch or even poppin da hood open?on the other end wit the lever i noticed that the entire cable has moved forward instead of the plastic part being held on the lever assembly..pulling with pliers on the cable doesnt work..tried the push down on the hood while another person pulls on the lever...it doesnt work too...im assuming the ball on the cable came off the latch and now pulling does nothing...as far as i know the movable part of the latch is on the backside of the latch and cant be accessed through the front??
and before u guys flame..i already did a search...

mine i had to take the whole bumper off and get it that way....that's b/c i used some short 10 mm bolts to hold my bumper in place....once you get the bumper off, u can find the cable and put it in place again....might be pretty tricky though....

StealthSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
after you get the hood open either get a new latch or get hood pins there are ups and down about pins and is a matters of $ and security

shahid.salim213

Si-d
5+ Year Member
thnx everyone...the problem is that da battery died too so lyk i cant take it to a shop on a hoist...nywyz ill try the bumper thing n see wut happns...tnx agen

shahid.salim213

Si-d
5+ Year Member
id really apreciate it if sumone cud post a pic of their 5th gen hood latch...i tried google but the images are not clear...if anyone has a shot of their engine bay wit a clear view of the hood latch...i cud picture on where exactly to place a coat hanger n yank the movable part of the latch off...

ge_ej1

5+ Year Member
you would have to under the car and get it that way....when looking up, it should be on your right hand side of the latch? it might have just fallen off the clip, that's what happened to mine.

Shred

5+ Year Member
I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd post my solution to this same issue, which I've heard is a common prob with older Civics.

pic/details here

blackEG

5+ Year Member
dis s**t happen to me twice on my del sol and my hatch. try to go remove the latch itself by losing 3 bolts thats holding the latch. but the problem is how u gonna get an access to it? wat i did was i cut the bumper wer they put the intercooler and got dat b***h open. den clean da latch with wd40 or carb cleaner and wire brush and ur all set.