1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Hood Pin Alternative

Discussion in 'Exterior / Detailing / Bodywork' started by Eran, Oct 18, 2005.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eran

Eran It's on ass-backwards. Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Is there an alternative to hood pins for SAFELY securing a carbonfiber or fiberglass hood? I'm not talking about different kinds of hoods pins (Sparco-style, moroso-style, cable-style, etc), but actual things that would work similarly, except be LESS visable from the outisde. Any input is appreciated.

2. io_303

io_303 NIFOC Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

that is a good question...I would like to know also....SUBSCRIBED

3. FRODO

FRODO Teh Oldest NooB. Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

In all honesty i believe you will be fine with out them...you might want to just adjust the latch so it is tighter close.

4. $lick Rick

$lick Rick TEOTWAWKI Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

for future reference, at the botom of the screen under thread tools, you will see a button called "subscribe to this thread"
    it subscribes to the thread without having to post :thumbs up

and no, to the best of my knowledge there is no alternative to hoodpins

invent something and make millions

5. wannabe

wannabe law abiding smog tech Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

6. Eran

Eran It's on ass-backwards. Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

function over form. safety first.

In all honnesty, I'm probably going to end up with Sparco hood pin (no knockoff, they rust, I've experienced it first hand), take the pin and ring out, spray the plate black, and replace the pin assembly. They'll look pretty nice with a silver ring and pin, silver screws, and a flat-black base on carbonfiber.

7. FRODO

FRODO Teh Oldest NooB. Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

choose are on the list of ones he doesnt want....

8. io_303

io_303 NIFOC Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I know but i was expressing my intrest and giving the thread a bump

9. Revolver

Revolver Oct 10th Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I'll sell you some JDM hood retaining tape... $200 a foot if you want the lightweight stuff, which I would reccomend.

Only cheap hoods with weak or non-existent latches require hood pins. Plenty of people have CF hood and don't use hood pins.

10. Eran

Yeah, no ricer fake-cf moroso-style pins.

11. FRODO

Thats what i am saying just get a good quality hood and then you will be fine.

12. potatobiker8

potatobiker8 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

i went to home depot and bought some rubber coated braided cable...i looped and pinched one end and the end i looped and pinched to the hood latch on the hood....so when ur hood drops down u have to make sure the hanging cable slides down right and then i locked it to the bottom of my rad support....anti theft/ safety....i think it was about 5 bucks for everything....i can take pics tomara if yah want just let me know

13. Revolver

Revolver Oct 10th Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Ok then its a good thing I have JDM stealth CFRSS(Carbon Fiber Reinforced Sticky Stuff) hood retaining velcro, you can only see it when you pop the hood but it looks awesome. Club Civic discount $350/ft.

14. wannabe

wannabe law abiding smog tech Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

im guessing thats directed toward my suggestion?

15. $lick Rick

$lick Rick TEOTWAWKI Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

you name a brand... any brand, and i guarantee multiple people have had it fly open on them.
    i've heard horror stories about every manufacturer i can think of... it's no where near worth the risk not to use hoodpins or some sort of securing device

16. Eran

you, good sir, are a shiester :lol:

17. FRODO

Right and i will take you to the junk yard and show you my accord with the smashed windsheild, dented roof, and busted sunroof were my stock hood flew open..

18. $lick Rick

that happens too :what:
    but the risk is much greater on cf hoods and luckily there are many devices that secure the hood to eliminate the risk

it's just not wise what so ever not to use them...

19. Eran

Yeah, I don't want them, but if I'm going to have them, I might as well make them look ok, and get a reputable brand that won't rust out.

And no, before anyone sugguests it, I am not buying Mugen. f**k $80 for teal JDM rice.

20. $lick Rick

:lol:

i have gm hoodpins... not very good gm though... but it is darker than bright chrome and look better imo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.