Status
Not open for further replies.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is there an alternative to hood pins for SAFELY securing a carbonfiber or fiberglass hood? I'm not talking about different kinds of hoods pins (Sparco-style, moroso-style, cable-style, etc), but actual things that would work similarly, except be LESS visable from the outisde. Any input is appreciated.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that is a good question...I would like to know also....SUBSCRIBED

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In all honesty i believe you will be fine with out them...you might want to just adjust the latch so it is tighter close.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
io_303 said:
that is a good question...I would like to know also....SUBSCRIBED
for future reference, at the botom of the screen under thread tools, you will see a button called "subscribe to this thread"
it subscribes to the thread without having to post :thumbs up

and no, to the best of my knowledge there is no alternative to hoodpins

invent something and make millions

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
FRODO said:
In all honesty i believe you will be fine with out them...you might want to just adjust the latch so it is tighter close.
function over form. safety first.

In all honnesty, I'm probably going to end up with Sparco hood pin (no knockoff, they rust, I've experienced it first hand), take the pin and ring out, spray the plate black, and replace the pin assembly. They'll look pretty nice with a silver ring and pin, silver screws, and a flat-black base on carbonfiber.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
choose are on the list of ones he doesnt want....

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
for future reference, at the botom of the screen under thread tools, you will see a button called "subscribe to this thread"
it subscribes to the thread without having to post :thumbs up

and no, to the best of my knowledge there is no alternative to hoodpins

invent something and make millions
I know but i was expressing my intrest and giving the thread a bump

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll sell you some JDM hood retaining tape... $200 a foot if you want the lightweight stuff, which I would reccomend.

Only cheap hoods with weak or non-existent latches require hood pins. Plenty of people have CF hood and don't use hood pins.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, no ricer fake-cf moroso-style pins.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Revolver said:
Only cheap hoods with weak or non-existent latches require hood pins. Plenty of people have CF hood and don't use hood pins.
Thats what i am saying just get a good quality hood and then you will be fine.

potatobiker8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i went to home depot and bought some rubber coated braided cable...i looped and pinched one end and the end i looped and pinched to the hood latch on the hood....so when ur hood drops down u have to make sure the hanging cable slides down right and then i locked it to the bottom of my rad support....anti theft/ safety....i think it was about 5 bucks for everything....i can take pics tomara if yah want just let me know

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Eran said:
Ok then its a good thing I have JDM stealth CFRSS(Carbon Fiber Reinforced Sticky Stuff) hood retaining velcro, you can only see it when you pop the hood but it looks awesome. Club Civic discount $350/ft.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eran said:
im guessing thats directed toward my suggestion?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
FRODO said:
Thats what i am saying just get a good quality hood and then you will be fine.

you name a brand... any brand, and i guarantee multiple people have had it fly open on them.
i've heard horror stories about every manufacturer i can think of... it's no where near worth the risk not to use hoodpins or some sort of securing device

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you, good sir, are a shiester :lol:

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
you name a brand... any brand, and i guarantee multiple people have had it fly open on them.
i've heard horror stories about every manufacturer i can think of... it's no where near worth the risk not to use hoodpins or some sort of securing device
Right and i will take you to the junk yard and show you my accord with the smashed windsheild, dented roof, and busted sunroof were my stock hood flew open..

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
FRODO said:
Right and i will take you to the junk yard and show you my accord with the smashed windsheild, dented roof, and busted sunroof were my stock hood flew open..
that happens too :what:
but the risk is much greater on cf hoods and luckily there are many devices that secure the hood to eliminate the risk

it's just not wise what so ever not to use them...

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, I don't want them, but if I'm going to have them, I might as well make them look ok, and get a reputable brand that won't rust out.

And no, before anyone sugguests it, I am not buying Mugen. f**k $80 for teal JDM rice.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
:lol:

i have gm hoodpins... not very good gm though... but it is darker than bright chrome and look better imo

Status
Not open for further replies.