Horse power or torque gains without forced induction or swap?

Jeff2000civic

Jeff2000dx
2000 civic DX
d16y7 non vtec
Bone stock motor,
How can I mak it accelerate quicker without doing a motor swap or boosting?
Intakes? Intake manis? Headers?

I have 2 1/4 inch catback, custom exhaust from a local shop.. Almost no change noticed.

Any HELPFUL suggestions would be great

Alex_fl05

D16y7? That's perfect for a minime swap bro! Just plug and play. You'll notice a big difference once the vtec starts Krakenn ;)
Itmight cost you around $200-300 to do but you'll love it. Maybe even less if you're lucky.
Light pulleys.
Light flywheel.
Headers.
Intake.
Oh and use the Y8 intake mani, It is HUGE!
gOOD Luck bro!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Investing exhaust flow with a restrictive intake system almost never crates a gain. You have a very weak motor to start, so any naturally aspirated power adders will yield a low gain. There is plenty you can do to add power, but be aware that you still will have a pretty slow car and still won't feel much difference.

start with your bolt ons and move forward. (most likely after bolt ons you'll understand just how weak the motor is)
Intake, throttle body, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and you said you already have an exhaust. A tuneable ecu should be added to the mix to maximize the small gains you're going to have.

If you are planning to go this route because of powerful sohc motors you have heard about, consider that they are mostly f series sohc blocks which are 2.2l compared to your 1.6l

techavluis

Registered VIP
Investing exhaust flow with a restrictive intake system almost never crates a gain. You have a very weak motor to start, so any naturally aspirated power adders will yield a low gain. There is plenty you can do to add power, but be aware that you still will have a pretty slow car and still won't feel much difference.

start with your bolt ons and move forward. (most likely after bolt ons you'll understand just how weak the motor is)
Intake, throttle body, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and you said you already have an exhaust. A tuneable ecu should be added to the mix to maximize the small gains you're going to have.

If you are planning to go this route because of powerful sohc motors you have heard about, consider that they are mostly f series sohc blocks which are 2.2l compared to your 1.6l
hmmm, weak motor... not sure about that but you do have a slow motor. also i wouldnt do bolt ons. your not going to feel anything. boost it. little ten old years with mommy and daddy money are doing it now days. dont worry about having a 1.6 or a 20.0. all motors that honda makes are good. all about what you put into it when passing what honda made it for.

but to answer what you ask... intake WITH GOOD FILTER, bigger throttle body, Y8 manifold, good full exhaust, small wheels, and a slow little tune. should see a little gain

CO671

Registered VIP
Intake, Headers/Exhaust won't show high gains on a small displacement & economical engine like the single cam Y7, nor will an aftermarket camshaft as people think. You're just adding bling to a snail. If you do get I/H/E and an aftermarket camshaft you'd only be getting up to a 15hp gain if you spend around $800. You can instantly gain a good 20hp if you spend a few hundred and do a y8 vtec mini-me head swap, and add the I/H/E an aftermarket camshaft above that, you'd still only be making around 130-140hp above the stock y7 106hp (estimated $900~$1600)

If you want power, do a swap, turbo, or rebuild the motor from the block and up because you won't be getting much out of a bone stock y7. Your question is like asking this:
I HAVE A GROCERY CART, HOW DO I MAKE IT FASTER.

Save up for a swap, if I had the money i'd do an H2B or do a CRV-tec.

Libertariat said:
You might get 5-10whp out of a camshaft on a d-series, but an H23 or a B20 will see ~20-30whp and 10-15wtq from a set of cams.
Honda-tech sticky "Just Bought a Civic! How Do I Make It Faster?"
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2915974

Intake POD/Cone filter HP gain myth busted (MightyCarMods)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q

The best exhaust on a Civic for under $200
($40 univeral muffler Dynomax Super turbo + custom piping on an H2B)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzvl6-_lWIE

Remember, the definition of Civic is "Of or relating to a city or town, esp. its administration; municipal."
Synonyms: "civil - urban - municipal - civilian - town"
It wasn't built to be a race car, it was built to be a commuter, it's a matter of you building it up to what you would like and restricting your modifications to the stock motor won't give great results.

Trekk

Registered VIP
W/o FI or a swap?
Sell the car get something with a bigger motor. That's the truth like it or not. Bolt on's just make more noise and add a tad more power near the red line.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmm, weak motor... not sure about that but you do have a slow motor. also i wouldnt do bolt ons. your not going to feel anything. boost it. little ten old years with mommy and daddy money are doing it now days. dont worry about having a 1.6 or a 20.0. all motors that honda makes are good. all about what you put into it when passing what honda made it for.

but to answer what you ask... intake WITH GOOD FILTER, bigger throttle body, Y8 manifold, good full exhaust, small wheels, and a slow little tune. should see a little gain
how do you have a slow motor? parts moving slowly? weak motor=slow car
you could add 50 hp to a y7 motor and still only be about 150ish hp..still weak to me

Jeff2000civic

Jeff2000dx
Anybody wanna tell me how to mini me swap it? Or to start the build? And my buddy runs an ef hatch mini me, fast as hell. 170 hp. But he started with a zc ported a z6 head. I'm starting with a totally different motor.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Anybody wanna tell me how to mini me swap it? Or to start the build? And my buddy runs an ef hatch mini me, fast as hell. 170 hp. But he started with a zc ported a z6 head. I'm starting with a totally different motor.
You sould take a ride in my car, your prolly wouldnt call anything you've been in, fast after that. Anyways these cars are like dam near 20 years old, google mini me and youll find a zillion post and write ups about it.

fanaticx

there is power to be made from your motor. just search and spend time reading. this is not the only or best site to find good sohc motor info. good luck!

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont think I agree with that statement, you can get a complete gsr swap from hmo for 3.2k plus shipping but your still around like 175hp. When I could build a badass boosted d series to walk that gsr all day for way less then what you would come out from getting the gsr swap and adding power to it.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
dont think I agree with that statement, you can get a complete gsr swap from hmo for 3.2k plus shipping but your still around like 175hp. When I could build a badass boosted d series to walk that gsr all day for way less then what you would come out from getting the gsr swap and adding power to it.
All motor btw and why does it have to be off hmo ? Lol way to much money buy used and rebuild it if u have to

Sent from tapataalllkk

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
All motor btw and why does it have to be off hmo ? Lol way to much money buy used and rebuild it if u have to

Sent from tapataalllkk
You will most likely still be putting a lot into the other components of the swap if you dont get a complete changeover. Unless you run into a hell of a deal or a wrecked gsr for cheap.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Let's try to keep this on track with less bickering ladies. You've had your fun.

Trekk

Registered VIP
I like how the title says w/o FI or swap yet people talk about swaps and FI.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you think 170hp (I'm assuming to the crank because that's a lot of whp for an N/A D-Series....) is "fast as hell", I can't imagine what you would think about 350awhp. Even that's not THAT fast to me.

If the dead horse hasn't been beaten enough, D-Series motors can't make that much power N/A. It's not worth dumping that much money into a D-Series IMO. With all the bolt-ons, internals, head/block work, you could easily have a swap.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
If you think 170hp (I'm assuming to the crank because that's a lot of whp for an N/A D-Series....) is "fast as hell", I can't imagine what you would think about 350awhp. Even that's not THAT fast to me.

If the dead horse hasn't been beaten enough, D-Series motors can't make that much power N/A. It's not worth dumping that much money into a D-Series IMO. With all the bolt-ons, internals, head/block work, you could easily have a swap.
Exactly

Sent from tapataalllkk