How bad is it to have too much oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HonUtd07

It's a Joke
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How bad is it to have too much oil in your motor? I recently changed my oil myself for the first time, and only about half a gallon of oil drained. I put in the recomended 4.2 quarts of oil, and now the oil level seems to be kinda high on the dipstick. The car runs and drives the same as it did before. I just don't want to keep driving like that if it's gonna hurt anything. Any input is appreciated.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just take the oil plug out and drain a little bit, then check your dipstick again

civic939

Drive Fast Or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i over oiled a truck once and i blew the head gaskets because of too much oil pressure. i would fix it quick. im sure it would do the same in a honda.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
TO much oil is just as bad as to little oil. Having to much can cause the flow of oil to slow, hence build pressure. Building pressure in certain areas of the engine can be very damaging. If too much oil were to get between say the crank bearings, one side of the bearings will make contact with each other.

Its very important to measure teh exact or very closely to your recommended oil capacity. Also if you cant put oil ini teh Oil Filter before its screwed on you need to check the recommened capacity with the filter on.

(All Hondas to my knowledge, cant fill the oil filter and apply the filter without spilling the oil)

Last edited:

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
you'll blow alot of smoke, and not just outta your ass either.

oh and civic's actually take 3.5 quarts, unless you got a swap.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:

4.2-4.5 Qts in most B series engines.

civic939

Drive Fast Or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
after you put oil in start the car for about ten seconds to get the oil into the filter and into the rest of the motor. turn it off and then check again. repeat this untill you get the right amount of oil. depending on how over full it is it could almost be worse than low oil

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
4.2-4.5 Qts in most B series engines.
4.2 for non-vtec b18's, and 4.8 for dohc vtec, that's going by honda's chart at work.

and 3.5 for 92 and newer sohc civic's.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
4.2 for non-vtec b18's, and 4.8 for dohc vtec, that's going by honda's chart at work.

Tom you get a Gold Star.

Ya your right about 4.8 too. I meant to add that.

HonUtd07

It's a Joke
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:

Outta my Honda Civic & CR-V/Acura Integra - anywhere from 1994 to 2000 Haynes Repair Manual...

Capacities
Engine Oil
Civic
B16A2............ 4.2 quarts

The largest engine oil capacity is 4.2 quarts. The B18B1 is 4 quarts and the B18C1 and C5 is 4.2. That's where I got my info from.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
HonUtd07 said:
Outta my Honda Civic & CR-V/Acura Integra - anywhere from 1994 to 2000 Haynes Repair Manual...

Capacities
Engine Oil
Civic
B16A2............ 4.2 quarts

The largest engine oil capacity is 4.2 quarts. The B18B1 is 4 quarts and the B18C1 and C5 is 4.2. That's where I got my info from.
i do this s**t for a living, just trust me, i know i'm right.

A.K.A haynes doesn't know s**t compared to honda, or it's trained employee's, lol.

OH and YEA i get a gold star, lol.

HonUtd07

It's a Joke
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
i do this s**t for a living, just trust me, i know i'm right.

A.K.A haynes doesn't know s**t compared to honda, or it's trained employee's, lol.
Yea... After I posted I figured Honda would know their engines better than Haynes. Ah well... It's actually been about two weeks since I changed the oil. Do you think if something was gonna happen, it would've happened by now?

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
it might hurt the PCV system, might, but not sure, just check you intake plenum, or rather throttle body, if you see no oil going back in then your ok, but you should drain and refill teh correct amount.

civic939

Drive Fast Or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i agree. instead of waiting for something to happen. do us all a fovor drain some oil. i dont want to hear another "oh crap my cars broke".

TenzoMonk

Lick your back on it
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:

i'm assuming these are all figures based on changing the filter as well, correct? (not that i know anyone who wouldn't take the 3 minutes to change the filter, if changing the oil... but)

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
when we change the oil, we also change teh filter, so yes 3.5 going into a civic would be correct then.

browneye

you know a butthole!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've also been told that when you have to much oil your cranks will hit the oil in the oil pan making it get frothy (bubbly) which can cause your oil pump to have problems getting the oil sucked up...basically the same thing you guys are describing...but w/ my .02 cents of shade tree added in....

civic939

Drive Fast Or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
random question.......what is everyones preference or opinion on oil weight and brand? what does honda recomend?

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
honda recommends and use's 5w30 for civic's made from 84-00, and it's made by exxon-mobil.

civic939

Drive Fast Or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok cool now that i know that. is it a good idea to change weight between winter and summer or just leave the 5w30 in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.