nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
it might hurt the PCV system, might, but not sure, just check you intake plenum, or rather throttle body, if you see no oil going back in then your ok, but you should drain and refill teh correct amount.
:werd: A tell tell sign of a bad PCV is oil in your air filter. Rough low idle also.

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so your telling everyone honda techs know it all and to trust them.. ekkk
hahah they have the chart but i still dont trust no techs anywhere to touch my car

and low oil is the cool, im always losing some.. damn valve seals i need to hurry up and do tihs head swap...

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
browneye said:
I've also been told that when you have to much oil your cranks will hit the oil in the oil pan making it get frothy (bubbly) which can cause your oil pump to have problems getting the oil sucked up...basically the same thing you guys are describing...but w/ my .02 cents of shade tree added in....
The word your looking for is cavitation and you are mostly correct about the oil pump. :thumbs up

When the oil is overfilled the crank contacts the oil and churns it into a froth. The air bubbles in the oil then are compressible where just oil is not. As a result oil pressure drops, the ability to form a hydrodynamic wedge that your crank "floats" on is gone and so is your engine. :(

I have been using Valvoline 5W30 for the better part of my 210,000 miles but just switched to Mobil 5W30 until I get a new front crank seal. (It's .60 cheaper per quart and I leak about a quart every 2500 to 3000 miles. Yay! new Timing belt 30,000 miles before I should have had to do it. :evil: )

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
When the oil is overfilled the crank contacts the oil and churns it into a froth. The air bubbles in the oil then are compressible where just oil is not. As a result oil pressure drops, the ability to form a hydrodynamic wedge that your crank "floats" on is gone and so is your engine. :(
)
That problem is from the days of old or using older conventional oils.

Anyhow the oil pump has whats called a Pressure Relief Valve. Its got a spring in it that is set to compress at so many PSI. Thus releiveing pressure on the lubrication system. Also with oils today (especially synthetics) has a Anti-Foam Additive and many other additives in them to negate foaming.

jenns91civic

Car Stupid (but learning)
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yet another reason why Jenn should learn to change her own oil. The place that did it a couple weeks ago put 10W-30, and the guy at O'Reilly's when I bought the oil gave me a look like "you don't know what you're talking about" when I told him I wanted 5w-30 and said 10 is better for Texas weather. Am I killing my car???

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
That problem is from the days of old or using older conventional oils.

Anyhow the oil pump has whats called a Pressure Relief Valve. Its got a spring in it that is set to compress at so many PSI. Thus releiveing pressure on the lubrication system. Also with oils today (especially synthetics) has a Anti-Foam Additive and many other additives in them to negate foaming.

Tell that to the local Jeep dealer that just replaced a relatively new 4.7...or to the "lube tech" that doubled the amount he was supposed to fill.

The pressure relief valve would do nothing if air was churned into the oil. Air compresses. Oil does not. It keeps your pressure from running so high that you explode or deform your oil filter.

From nsxprime.com Do not over-fill with oil. It can foam at high RPM and cause engine damage. Also, overfilling a non-drysump engine like the NSX's puts the main seals at risk.
jenns91civic said:
Yet another reason why Jenn should learn to change her own oil. The place that did it a couple weeks ago put 10W-30, and the guy at O'Reilly's when I bought the oil gave me a look like "you don't know what you're talking about" when I told him I wanted 5w-30 and said 10 is better for Texas weather. Am I killing my car???
Not one of my old employees. They know better. ;)

10W30 probably won't hurt your car down here. It'll stay in grade longer than 5W30. But why second guess Honda engineers?

Last edited:

jenns91civic

Car Stupid (but learning)
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks, thats exactly what he said, but if I was more assertive I would have put my foot down. My owners manual says 5W30. From now on, I change my own oil and buy what I want not what some dork says just to sell a case.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
Tell that to the local Jeep dealer that just replaced a relatively new 4.7...or to the "lube tech" that doubled the amount he was supposed to fill.

The pressure relief valve would do nothing if air was churned into the oil. Air compresses. Oil does not. It keeps your pressure from running so high that you explode or deform your oil filter.
I would gladly tell him. Almost anytime foaming happens now a days is when to different types of oil are mized together. (IE: Synthetic & Conventional)

Almost all oils now are enginnered and have Anti-Foaming additves added to them to prevent foaming of oi at high RPM's. Automotive Grade oils anyhow.

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What REALLY happen when you over fill the is if part of the crankshft become submerge in the oil it splash the oil & mix it with air making it sudsy, not good, this can cause air to be trapedbetween crankshaft journals, creatin much ware in the dry areas contaminated with air

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
I would gladly tell him. Almost anytime foaming happens now a days is when to different types of oil are mized together. (IE: Synthetic & Conventional)

Almost all oils now are enginnered and have Anti-Foaming additves added to them to prevent foaming of oi at high RPM's. Automotive Grade oils anyhow.

Okay, here's an experiment for you. Go get a quart of Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil,...whatever... and put it in a container. Hit it with an egg beater for a minute or so. Keep in mind that an egg beater only turns at 500 or so rpm. Check for bubbles in the oil.

Modern oils do have anti-foaming agents in them but they are not designed to have contact with the crank. Plus the very additives that build film strength also increase surface tension and help create those bubbles

sway

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
guys, do you think its ok if i put all the 1 gallon oil? the damn mechanic filled the whole gallon when i did a change oil. wat do you think guys?

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sway said:
guys, do you think its ok if i put all the 1 gallon oil? the damn mechanic filled the whole gallon when i did a change oil. wat do you think guys?

I think you are overfull.

Remember, it's better to be a quart low than a quart high. Actually neither is good but that's how the saying goes. 8)

420GREEN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn, never been that anal bout oil capacity............been makin Honda's haul ass for over a decade, and on my daily driven EX I have over 227,000 miles............I drain the oil, change the filter, dump in four quarts and call it a day..........VTEC still kicks in all the way to redline..........Okay if you put more than a quarter of an inch higher than it's supposed to be on the dipstick....don't sweat it............if it's higher than that you can do damage.......blow out the oil rings on a piston, valve seals could start leaking, and a whole lotta oily blow-by....................sounds like you don't have to worry...............( 4 quarts= 1 gallon) 1 point for the mechanic.

Last edited:

civic939

Drive Fast Or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
420green. i wouldnt going around telling people about how to change thier oil. there is a set amount for a reason. are you doubting the honda engineers? they built the car, they made it run, they know what the hell is going on.

sway

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
I think you are overfull.

Remember, it's better to be a quart low than a quart high. Actually neither is good but that's how the saying goes. 8)
thanks dude. you guys are very helpful. more HP!!!! 8)

skinnyjdm

Always bet on black
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
you'll blow alot of smoke, and not just outta your ass either.

oh and civic's actually take 3.5 quarts, unless you got a swap.
My owners manual says to put in 3.8 ;)

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
skinnyjdawg said:
My owners manual says to put in 3.8 ;)
well good for it, my charts form honda at work says 3.5!

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
skinnyjdawg said:
touched a nerve
yes, well not really a nerve, but i know my info, true the book may say 3.8, but that's full motor capacity, not drain and fill like for a oil change.

skinnyjdm

Always bet on black
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know i'm just messin with you. I still put in that much, but how do you figure out 3.8 so i just try to do as close as i can

Status
Not open for further replies.