How big is my gas tank?

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have a 99 DX hatch..
I filled up my tank last week with $36 and I wanted to calculate my MPG. My car is 5sp. and only an intake as a motor mod.
I got 290 miles to the tank with some highway some street miles. Is that good or bad??

The car sat for 2 years and was never moved. Since I bought it I only changed the oil.
Anything else you guys recommend I should change to increase the MPG?

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how many galllons did it take when you filled up?

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The capacity is 11.90 gallons.

wfw12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
full tune up is in order

plugs
wires
pcv
dizzy cap
trans flush
etc....

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I fill my gsr 4 door, a 5th gen dx w/ a gsr swap and Ls tran up. Hold about 9 gallons b/c I hit a rock in the rear of the tank, and I get 360 miles per tank highway miles, and about 300-320 street. It costs me about $30 to fill it up with premium.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey DarkCreep you didn't get 24.36 because you didn't run your tank dry, so you have to recalculate your mileage. Go fill it up, reset your odometer and next time you fill up, record the mileage and divide it by how much you filled up with. Also do not pump more gas into your tank when the pump stops, doing that throws off you mileage calculations a bit.

24mpg for a stock Civic is bad, if your car is running alright you should get at least 28mpg.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
im getting like 350-360 miles per tank boosted b18

honda98civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it costs me about $33 to fill up on regular and thats after driving a few miles with the gas light on. i average about 350 miles per tank. and i only have an intake. and that includes me accelerating hard and going WOT every once in a while. so 290 is definatly bad.

JDMNorth

Work In Progress.
5+ Year Member
OMG you guys are soo f**king lucky.

In Canada gas is around $1.25/litre for regular..I have no idea how much it is in gallons but it's alot more expensive.

91 octane I pay almost $36 for 27 litres.. our tanks are sapose to hold almost 40 litres...

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Hey DarkCreep you didn't get 24.36 because you didn't run your tank dry, so you have to recalculate your mileage. Go fill it up, reset your odometer and next time you fill up, record the mileage and divide it by how much you filled up with. Also do not pump more gas into your tank when the pump stops, doing that throws off you mileage calculations a bit.

24mpg for a stock Civic is bad, if your car is running alright you should get at least 28mpg.
You are right.. I ran the needle as far as I can go, but the light didnt turn on.

Ill fill up again tomorrow and recalculate. Thanks for the tip!!

PS: I pumped twice more after the little 'click' of the pump.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thank you.

I got 24.36MPG.

How is that?
Did you run totally out of gas?

The size of your gas tank has nothing to do with your gas mileage. It's how much gas you happened to put in it that time.

:thumbup:
OMG you guys are soo f**king lucky.

In Canada gas is around $1.25/litre for regular..I have no idea how much it is in gallons but it's alot more expensive.

91 octane I pay almost $36 for 27 litres.. our tanks are sapose to hold almost 40 litres...
Price of gas in Canada:
$1.25 CAD ($1.24 USD) for 1 liter of gasoline = $4.73 CAD ($4.71 USD) for 1 gallon of gasoline

The other day I purchased gas for $3.48 USD a gallon. That'd be $3.50 CAD a gallon or $0.92 CAD per liter.

Price of gas in the US:
$0.92 USD ($0.92 CAD) for 1 liter of gasoline = $3.48 USD ($3.50 CAD) for 1 gallon of gasoline

I think I did all those conversions right.

jonmaltese6thg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you run totally out of gas?

The size of your gas tank has nothing to do with your gas mileage. It's how much gas you happened to put in it that time.

:thumbup:

Price of gas in Canada:
$1.25 CAD ($1.24 USD) for 1 liter of gasoline = $4.73 CAD ($4.71 USD) for 1 gallon of gasoline

The other day I purchased gas for $3.48 USD a gallon. That'd be $3.50 CAD a gallon or $0.92 CAD per liter.

Price of gas in the US:
$0.92 USD ($0.92 CAD) for 1 liter of gasoline = $3.48 USD ($3.50 CAD) for 1 gallon of gasoline

I think I did all those conversions right.
completely agree im live in canada also ,in quebec, s**t loads of taxes, its is presently at 1.33 a litre !

im trippin cuz i drive easily over 100 miles a day with my lead foot lol its really ridiculous how expensive its gettin.....

when your 20$ only puts in a cheap 14.8 litres now that is a fukin ripp off!!

so u ppl pay the litre less than a buck so you guys would be gettin like obviously over 20 litres lol u lucky folks must save so much MPG money after the weeks,,,,,.....