how can i test my distributor?

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i replaced the icm and put the distributor back together and the car started up fine. i took it for a test drive and it lost power again. luckily i was able to pull into a parking lot and tried to start the car again. it started up but, when i gave it gas it ran rough and cut out. the rpms would get to around 2k then they'd drop and the car would cut out while i tried giving it alittle gas. i dont know what to do now. need help.

RonJ

Banned
i replaced the icm and put the distributor back together and the car started up fine. i took it for a test drive and it lost power again. luckily i was able to pull into a parking lot and tried to start the car again. it started up but, when i gave it gas it ran rough and cut out. the rpms would get to around 2k then they'd drop and the car would cut out while i tried giving it alittle gas. i dont know what to do now. need help.
Did you install a used ICM? Did you have it tested?

Have you resistance tested the coil? When an ICM is bad, the coil is not far behind.

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i replaced both the icm and coil. i got a used dizzy from the salvage yard.

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no cel either. car was running fine then just lost power. it'll start up and idle low then i'll try and give it alittle gas but it runs rough and doesnt rev more than 2k without the rpms dropping and engine almost dieing.

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no cel and the coil and icm arent new. they're used. got them from a parts yard

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'll get it tested. the parts store couldn't test the coil tho. just the icm.

if it isnt the coil or icm what else could it be? i'm thinking maybe something to do with fuel since it starts running rough when i give it gas. not sure tho.

RonJ

Banned
Borrow a digital multimeter so that you can resistance test the coil as detailed in the diagram.

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Borrow a digital multimeter so that you can resistance test the coil as detailed in the diagram.
my old coil tested fine. i'll check this new coil. if it isnt the coil what could it be if the icm is good?

RonJ

Banned
my old coil tested fine. i'll check this new coil. if it isnt the coil what could it be if the icm is good?
Compare resistance reading of the previous and current coil. Post the numbers.

Have the ICM tested and go from there.

In what condition is the inside of the distributor cap, the rotor, and plugs?

gsattler

PonP's Solution

RonP, you rule. I followed the tips you posted on page 1 and found that the resistance on my TEC ignition coil, spring to terminal A, was 9.2kOhms and the terminal to terminal resistance was .8Ohms. The meter I used is a pretty cheap one so I wasn't surprised that the I got .8Ohms and it still seemed pretty close, but the spring to terminal A measurement was was off. I bought a new ignition coil and it measured 15.6kOhms from spring to terminal A and .8Ohms from terminal to terminal. An in spec product! Installed and the car runs great! You da man! I live in Houston and I'd love you buy you a beer!