How Do I Remove Rear License Plate Bracket from 6th Gen Hatch?

eK4TheWin

Plz dnt teez the SOHC
Hi guys, I desperately need help ASAP! I need to remove the black trim piece that holds my license plate. There are a couple of clips with screws, two allen screws and that is all I can see. There is one clip in the middle that does not come off but, from what it seems, slides under the trim to pop into a lock position. Also, my hatch release handle seems to be an issue that I can't get around when trying to take it off. Help?? Thanks again.

This is not my car, I just posted it because it is exactly what I have. It is dark right now, so I could not provide a decent picture of my own car :(

eK4TheWin

Plz dnt teez the SOHC
So basically, the reason why I wanted to do this was to repaint the trim. It was all ugly and faded.

Tools you'll need:
1-Allen Wrenches for the two bolts beside the handle.
2-Socket wrenches and a Ratchet. (If I remember correctly, you'll be using from 8mm to 14mm.)
3-Extensions.
4-A flathead and a phillips head screwdriver.

First, you'll need to remove your license plate and the bolts that are next to the hatch release handle. PLEASE BE SURE TO LABEL AND SAFELY STORE YOUR BOLTS BECAUSE YOU WILL LOSE THEM!!! I have had to replace several from a huge trash bag of spare bolts that I have from my past Civics because I didnt do this.

Second, when the trim feels a little loose, open your hatch and pop out the two trim clips at the bottom of the hatch door, which should be facing you. Then, using the flathead, pop out the trim piece around the locking mechanism by the hatch window. Now use your hands to firmly, but CAREFULLY, pop out the interior trim of the hatch. Use even pressure just the same as if you were taking off a door panel.
You will see all the bolts inside, so from here use your knowedge of tools and basic puzzles to figure it out lolol.

One thing you should note is that the license plate lights will need to be removed before you are able to take out the license plate trim. Just apply pressure to the tab clips and theyll slip right out.

Another DIY coming soon: Making a cargo cover for your HATCHBACK!! Its gonna cost about 60 bux of material, which beats the hell out of dealer priced 180 dollar cargo cover. It could cost less but that will be covered in the thread so stick around!!