how many of you would literally build your own house/home from scratch?

sleeper si

Registered VIP
Just wondering how many members would try to save some money in tackling a complete build your own home from scratch? Some people would just not want the headaches and just pay a contractor to do it all.
I'm a cheap ass and want to save every penny so I am going to demo the old house that was made of wood/brick and build it out of rebars and concrete. =)
am i getting over my head on this DIY?=)

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Umm are you talking about completely trying to build your own home by your hands?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My father is a carpenter(and a firefighter), and his father was a carpenter, and he's helped people build homes. But there's only so much you can do. You have to pay a plumber, an electrician, a mason, get permits, etc. Unless you are especially skilled in all of these trades, I would not attempt it.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
My father is a carpenter(and a firefighter), and his father was a carpenter, and he's helped people build homes. But there's only so much you can do. You have to pay a plumber, an electrician, a mason, get permits, etc. Unless you are especially skilled in all of these trades, I would not attempt it.
X million
It's really not that expensive to have a house built.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
X million
It's really not that expensive to have a house built.
Not to mention all of the tools and equipment. Not just renting/ purchasing them, but knowing how to use them.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I absolutely plan to. I come from a family of carpenters and I work the industry both mortgage and real estate side. It's a much better investment to build as long as you don't personalize it so much that you can't sell it later.

Sent from my Note 2

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I absolutely plan to. I come from a family of carpenters and I work the industry both mortgage and real estate side. It's a much better investment to build as long as you don't personalize it so much that you can't sell it later.

Sent from my Note 2
x2 These are similar to what I plan as well. It always helps to have done so before. Granted building your own house will be different than helping build one but it should be just as fun as long as you enjoy it and pull through.

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
Nope; first thing I learned in flipping houses, let someone else do that s**t. Unless you're a contractor

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
simply put, flippers do not care about a home, they put s**t quality into a home and then leave the new home owner thinking they got great quality and updated stuff when really all they got was crap from china. they dont care about the community or the continuity of a neighborhood, they are going to update to some box style home and take away any real character the home had...

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nope; first thing I learned in flipping houses, let someone else do that s***. Unless you're a contractor
Agreed man!

simply put, flippers do not care about a home, they put s*** quality into a home and then leave the new home owner thinking they got great quality and updated stuff when really all they got was crap from china. they dont care about the community or the continuity of a neighborhood, they are going to update to some box style home and take away any real character the home had...
Not true in all cases. Unfortunately, you have shithead flippers who drive the economy down by doing this, but many of the flippers around here will renovate using quality materials, and upgrade the house. This adds notable value to the home and allows them to maximize profit. Gotta pay to play!

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
That's a generalization, lol. There are companies that do shoddy work and cover up a lot of bullshit, but that's not all of us. I mainly flip cookie-cutter 1,300 to 2,500 square foot homes, built between the 70's and 00's, so there isn't a lot of character or quality involved, especially in the newer homes. Occasionally, but rarely, I get to flip a home with character or something in a custom neighborhood, and I feel I balance budget, quality, and style as well as anyone else out there.

Built in 1943 and probably neglected since day one....

A neighbor came up to me and told me he loved me, and it was in a fairly awkward way

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's a generalization, lol. There are companies that do shoddy work and cover up a lot of bulls***, but that's not all of us. I mainly flip cookie-cutter 1,300 to 2,500 square foot homes, built between the 70's and 00's, so there isn't a lot of character or quality involved, especially in the newer homes. Occasionally, but rarely, I get to flip a home with character or something in a custom neighborhood, and I feel I balance budget, quality, and style as well as anyone else out there.

A neighbor came up to me and told me he loved me, and it was in a fairly awkward way
:shock: That's a hell of a cleanup! Wow!

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's a generalization, lol. There are companies that do shoddy work and cover up a lot of bullshit, but that's not all of us. I mainly flip cookie-cutter 1,300 to 2,500 square foot homes, built between the 70's and 00's, so there isn't a lot of character or quality involved, especially in the newer homes. Occasionally, but rarely, I get to flip a home with character or something in a custom neighborhood, and I feel I balance budget, quality, and style as well as anyone else out there.

Do you have any interior shots?

Sent from my Note 2

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
Yeah. At the office. The interior was all plaster and falling apart with mold, stucco was f**ked up, roof was bad, etc. about $102k in repairs. Took it down to a shell

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
....and then finished it with inferior products... no offense, i just do not believe it was finished proper. we could get in an argument about this but there is no sense... agree to disagree.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
i don't plan to use any wood and it will be strictly concrete, steel and masonary. The things i cannot do on my own i would source it out to a pro to do. just like the architectural plans i sourced it out to a pro. as for demo, i just hire some guys with sledge hammers to bash away as I will supervise with the project.
estimate 3-4 months if weather permits.
i don't plan to flip it but invest some money into a rundown brick and wood house