How many Quarts in 1.6L?

kwtorbe

5+ Year Member
I just got a '97 Civic Hx with a 200,000 1.6L. I changed the oil and put 5 quarts in and it doesn't even read anything on the dipstick (I was on level ground and had started the motor and everything). HOW many quarts does a 1.6L engine hold? I suspect I have the wrong dipstick or I simply need another quart......

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i believe they hold 4.0 quarts, check your dipstick i would suggest. 5 is a little to many.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They hold a little under 4 quarts. With 4, you should be fine.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its 3.8 or someshit, 5 is definitely too much

MilanoRed_EJ8

Banned
Yeah, its supposed to hold 3.75 quarts, depending on how much oil your engine burns, if any.

To be safe I would just drop 4 quarts of Mobil1 10w30 in it, 5 quarts is not "excessive", but you should put 4 quarts to be on the safe side.

In any case, just let it run for a little while once you change the oil, you won't find oil on the dipstick as soon as you change it.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wouldn't use 10w30 or synthetic oil. Honda reccomends 5w20. I use Honda 5w20 in mine. It's made by Mobil ... but it's not synthetic like Mobil 1. There's absolutely no reason to run that weighty of an oil or to run synthetic in a stock to mildly-modded Honda motor.

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i've always put 3.5 in. too little? I use 5w30.

kwtorbe

5+ Year Member
I did let the motor run awhile after I changed it. My guess is I have the wrong dipstick from the backasswards guy I bought the car from. Thanks all---now it looks like I need a new dipstick and to go drain a quart--fun times

DAF

Zinc Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its roughly 4 quarts. I'd you pour the oil in and then check your dip stick right after pouring it in? Your suppose to wait a little bit to let it all get to the oil pan, then check. That's also one of the many reasons why you don't check your oil right after or while your car is runing.

And does it run better on 5w20? I've been using 10w40 (b/c its summer).

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its exactly 3.8 quarts. and i run 5w30, but its royal purple

bcivichb

Driving South
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the car has to be cold when you check the oil. so its all in the pan, otherwise its in the engine and it wont read on the dipstick

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DAF said:
Its roughly 4 quarts. I'd you pour the oil in and then check your dip stick right after pouring it in? Your suppose to wait a little bit to let it all get to the oil pan, then check. That's also one of the many reasons why you don't check your oil right after or while your car is runing.

And does it run better on 5w20? I've been using 10w40 (b/c its summer).
5w20 Honda motor oil :thumbs up

I always run it, and my car runs great. I actually use all honda fluids .... but I'm anal like that :lol:

celtic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yours may be different due to the year or something but Honda recommends 5w30 for my car...

anyways, why does it take like 10 people to repeat the same answer over and over?

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
celtic11 said:
Yours may be different due to the year or something but Honda recommends 5w30 for my car...

anyways, why does it take like 10 people to repeat the same answer over and over?
Actually, a TSB put out about a year ago lists yours as taking 5w20.

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Eran said:
Actually, a TSB put out about a year ago lists yours as taking 5w20.
Um doesnt it say 5w30 and 3.8 in the manual.....

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eran said:
I wouldn't use 10w30 or synthetic oil. Honda reccomends 5w20. I use Honda 5w20 in mine. It's made by Mobil ... but it's not synthetic like Mobil 1. There's absolutely no reason to run that weighty of an oil or to run synthetic in a stock to mildly-modded Honda motor.
Honda does reccomend 5W20. Castor oil is what the dealer I used to work at used. Except for the hybrids and though ran a 0 grade oil by honda. . . . .

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Maintenance/maint_prev_maint.asp#oil

you will have to sign up for owner link to view link

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eran said:
Alot of this depends on altitudes/temperatures of which your vehicle is driven.

We (my parents, then me) had an old 88 honda accord lxi, a20a4. My dad had used 4 quarts of Castrol 10w30 in it since the FIRST oil change he did after purchase in 87. It now has 258k miles on it, and its still running strong. Located in colorado ive heard some not so good things about overly thin oil, but maybe thats just me? *shrug*

kwtorbe

5+ Year Member
I put in about 3.8 quarts of 5W 30 and an additive and then recalibrated my dipstick to be full at that point.
For some mechanical tech crap about what is better read the following knowing that oil choice is all about balancing engine protection for performance---lighter oils, while not as protective due to lower viscousity, provide more horsepower, torque, and efficiency (The heavier the oil the harder the engine has to work to overcome the parasitic effects). However, the heavy oils should provide better protection to engine components. I normally use 10W30 in the summer because more heat causes the oil to be less viscous and 5W30 in the winter, but I used an additive (Restore) this time. I have seen in Carcraft magazine where an additional 20hp can be found by running less and thinner oils (granted these are 550hp big blocks). Thanks for the speedy help to remedy my oil problem