How old do you have to be to work at autozone, napa, etc?

gtoman_05

Yah Its Orange
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Y u wana work at autozone... just come steal DVD's And Flat-screens off trucks with me ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

ak_thrylls

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the autozone that i talked to said you have to be 18 years old to work there. but, they will hire 17 year olds if their b-day is comming up.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
18. it said on top of the apps in the store.
Autozone applications are all online. Maybe not all the other applications (though IIRC, Napa uses generic applications), but Autozone only keeps cards directing you to the employment site.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Be prepared for know-it-alls too who second guess your knowledge... I used to work at RadioShack when I was 18-19 and I was really sharp in electronics and I loved showing off in front of old geezers who thought I knew nothing...

Be twice as sharp as the average joe; Being young, they will look for you to fall on your face...

It sucks; there is 15 year old kids who know more about souping up cars more than me (I'm by no means a car expert; but I try :lol: ) and know they know it... There is some old timers who think they know more...

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Autozone applications are all online. Maybe not all the other applications (though IIRC, Napa uses generic applications), but Autozone only keeps cards directing you to the employment site.
It was ontop of their get stack of penzoil bottles of oil on the floor, for their "get 4 bottles of penzoil and get a free fram oil filter" special. maybe it wasn't an application maybe it was something else that said you must be atleast 18 years of age. but this was like a year ago too.. so you know..

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You'll like cars. You just won't like people.
That's exactly why I got out of it and why I'm trying to avoid working retail again!

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It was ontop of their get stack of penzoil bottles of oil on the floor, for their "get 4 bottles of penzoil and get a free fram oil filter" special. maybe it wasn't an application maybe it was something else that said you must be atleast 18 years of age. but this was like a year ago too.. so you know..
Sounds like a rebate form.

I've been there for over a year this time and I worked there about three years ago before this.

Most of the oil deals (which go on ALL the time btw) are five bottles of (blank) plus a (blank brand) oil filter for $X.XX. :thumbs up I do think I recall seeing a four bottle one recently though. Not very common. We just did a Pennzoil deal recently and it was five.

You get a discount as an employee, but unfortunately that doesn't include oil and a lot of other fluids. At least they have the oil deals though. Plus since we're there all the time we always see when good deals come through.
That's exactly why I got out of it and why I'm trying to avoid working retail again!
At least in most other retail positions you won't be asked to put on headlight bulbs and wipers in the rain. Like it doesn't occur to people to change wipers until it's raining and they can't see s**t. Or not to replace a lightbulb until they get pulled over.

Oh, and battery tests in the rain. Oh yeah, LOVE that one.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sounds like a rebate form.

I've been there for over a year this time and I worked there about three years ago before this.

Most of the oil deals (which go on ALL the time btw) are five bottles of (blank) plus a (blank brand) oil filter for $X.XX. :thumbs up I do think I recall seeing a four bottle one recently though. Not very common. We just did a Pennzoil deal recently and it was five.

You get a discount as an employee, but unfortunately that doesn't include oil and a lot of other fluids. At least they have the oil deals though. Plus since we're there all the time we always see when good deals come through.
I LOVE those deals. Ive been getting synthetic and have 3 left over bottles from the previous sales. The only time I buy oil haha! I never send in the $5 rebate though.

When customers ask you to install parts, do you have to?

I work in retail too and some guy wanted me to pair his GPS with his phone through bluetooth. I was like sure, who was your salesmen? Hes like "I didnt buy it here, I bought it at the Sony store". Wow, are you serious? and you want us to fix your issues?. I told him, "Im sorry, but we charge $14.99 to pair your bluetooth to GPS, would you like to purchase it?". He said no thanks and walked away haha.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
At least in most other retail positions you won't be asked to put on headlight bulbs and wipers in the rain. Like it doesn't occur to people to change wipers until it's raining and they can't see s**t. Or not to replace a lightbulb until they get pulled over.

Oh, and battery tests in the rain. Oh yeah, LOVE that one.

:rolf: :bluelol:

It's always raining or sleeting when they need their wipers installed.
[if I'm doing it, you're buying at least Bosch Excel+...I got a good ticket average and I don't want to waste a half hour trying to make some dayum $1.99 Pylon refills fit :lol: )

The headlight that burned out is always the one that is right in front of the battery or 200 degree coolant overflow tank.

Customer service phone operators always promise a free battery install to people who drive Dodge Stratuses.
[front wheel and fender liner has to come off)

Mercedes Benz owners always b***h about the price of their parts .
[Beck Arnley is overpriced but it's still cheaper than the 'Benzo house)

It's always the counter-person's fault. I had a customer who bought a set of wires from me for his hooptie POS Chevrolet C10. He just yanked off the old wires all at once and then installed the new ones with no regard to firing order. He comes in screaming and pitching a fit that "I" had blown his carburetor up by selling him the wrong wires.
Hmmmm virtually every cylinder is hooked to the wrong post on the distributor....I wonder if that will make it backfire through the intake? :rolf:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
...And Batteries! :smackself:

They always want to buy the $29.99 group 24 battery and then bring it back in, terminals all shorted across and melted, bitching about how it doesn't fit.

"You sold me the wrong battery."

"In all fairness sir, it was you who insisted on buying the wrong battery. I told you that it wouldn't fit your car. You told me to mind my own business and just sell you the f**king battery."

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
When customers ask you to install parts, do you have to?
I don't *have* to, but it's something the managers like you to do. Then they b***h about you being out there too long.
:rolf: :bluelol:

It's always raining or sleeting when they need their wipers installed.
[if I'm doing it, you're buying at least Bosch Excel+...I got a good ticket average and I don't want to waste a half hour trying to make some dayum $1.99 Pylon refills fit :lol: )

The headlight that burned out is always the one that is right in front of the battery or 200 degree coolant overflow tank.

Customer service phone operators always promise a free battery install to people who drive Dodge Stratuses.
[front wheel and fender liner has to come off)

Mercedes Benz owners always b***h about the price of their parts .
[Beck Arnley is overpriced but it's still cheaper than the 'Benzo house)

It's always the counter-person's fault. I had a customer who bought a set of wires from me for his hooptie POS Chevrolet C10. He just yanked off the old wires all at once and then installed the new ones with no regard to firing order. He comes in screaming and pitching a fit that "I" had blown his carburetor up by selling him the wrong wires.
Hmmmm virtually every cylinder is hooked to the wrong post on the distributor....I wonder if that will make it backfire through the intake? :rolf:
When someone comes in and asks for wiper refills I either tell them we don't sell them (they're kept in the back), or I'll tell them they need to remove their wipers and bring them in and try to match them up.

I DO NOT put the refills in for anyone. Screw those cheap bastards.

You know the best part? Okay, so most cars today take two sizes of wipers, right? And trucks (which are less common here) usually take the same size. Well, these people with cars want the refills. A pack of refills contains two of the same size. You need to buy two packages in order to replace both wipers on your car. Each package costs about $4.99 IIRC.

Well, had you purchased the cheapest wipers (on the frame and all) they cost only $3.99 apiece.

The average person does not save the wipers in a place they remember. So the refills end up being more expensive.

I'm lucky I have small hands, so bulbs usually aren't an issue. I don't ever want to work with an early model PT Cruiser battery though. It's halfway under the core support.

We had some lady swear that we told her to put gear oil in her transmission, which caused her transmission to die. We had another guy who bought the wrong oil grade. He swears we blew his engine up (within twenty minutes!). :rolf:

While I don't like dealing with stupid people, they do give you a good laugh.

Like the two young kids who came in. The fat one was driving a Focus. His friend was trying to teach him about cars. So the fat one asks for 8mm plug wires. The friend says he's going to "free up some horsepower" with those wires. I told him, "That's not how it works." He replies back with, "I think I know how cars work." Okay... lol

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't *have* to, but it's something the managers like you to do. Then they b***h about you being out there too long.

When someone comes in and asks for wiper refills I either tell them we don't sell them (they're kept in the back), or I'll tell them they need to remove their wipers and bring them in and try to match them up.

I DO NOT put the refills in for anyone. Screw those cheap bastards.

You know the best part? Okay, so most cars today take two sizes of wipers, right? And trucks (which are less common here) usually take the same size. Well, these people with cars want the refills. A pack of refills contains two of the same size. You need to buy two packages in order to replace both wipers on your car. Each package costs about $4.99 IIRC.

Well, had you purchased the cheapest wipers (on the frame and all) they cost only $3.99 apiece.

The average person does not save the wipers in a place they remember. So the refills end up being more expensive.

I'm lucky I have small hands, so bulbs usually aren't an issue. I don't ever want to work with an early model PT Cruiser battery though. It's halfway under the core support.

We had some lady swear that we told her to put gear oil in her transmission, which caused her transmission to die. We had another guy who bought the wrong oil grade. He swears we blew his engine up (within twenty minutes!). :rolf:

While I don't like dealing with stupid people, they do give you a good laugh.

Like the two young kids who came in. The fat one was driving a Focus. His friend was trying to teach him about cars. So the fat one asks for 8mm plug wires. The friend says he's going to "free up some horsepower" with those wires. I told him, "That's not how it works." He replies back with, "I think I know how cars work." Okay... lol
and this is why illegal mexicans take jobs. they're not too lazy to install wiper refills or install bulbs or check anything else for that matter. They're not scared of rain, sleat or snow and they don't complain much.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and this is why illegal mexicans take jobs. they're not too lazy to install wiper refills or install bulbs or check anything else for that matter. They're not scared of rain, sleat or snow and they don't complain much.
and as long as they do, they will continue to have low ticket and sales averages.

f**k that.

If I'm going to lose sales time to do a headlight bulb, they are buying at least Long Life bulbs.

I don't put that cheap ass PRoChina crap on.

The difference? I made $15 on my ticket. Immigrant worker made $5.00 on his

I don't do refills on wipers.

Premium wipers, 2 minutes elapsed, $25.00 sale

Refills? 15 minutes elapsed, $5.00 sale

The customer is not paying for labor anyway so they are coming out ahead and there's a better probability that the customer will actually be pleased with the way the part I put on works. (particularly wipers)

So when they ask for something, I always bring the premium part first.