How old do you have to be to work at autozone, napa, etc?

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wait you guys get commission?
Biggest reason why I don't work for Autozone anymore... NO! And on top of that they have the balls to frown upon accepting tips from customers when you actually go install a battery in the freezing snow storm.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wait you guys get commission?
No, but having a high ticket average, and a high monthly average keeps the boss out of your ass and typically nets you more than 3% on your annual merit raise.

Plus it's a competitive thing. You don't want that douchebag Ford guy to out-sell you and since he's the guy everyone comes to for Ford parts and advice, he's already got a leg up.

ryanM

you guys must really suck at wiper refills

thats part of what i do at work to the cars that are on maintenance plans

they take like 2 minutes...

i dont work at a parts store though.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
WTF is a high ticket average?

I get payed commission, but its different for every product. I just sold a custom computer that payed me 1% of what the customer payed.
Commission drops FTL.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
and this is why illegal mexicans take jobs. they're not too lazy to install wiper refills or install bulbs or check anything else for that matter. They're not scared of rain, sleat or snow and they don't complain much.
I'm not lazy or scared. It's just rude for them to demand me to do something that I'm not really supposed to do (according to the company). Not to mention that they blame you if their wiper or whatever breaks.

I don't install refills because they often take a lot of time and there's a fair chance the wipers will break. Not to mention it can cut your hands up when you're bending those little metal pieces all around. If the customer wants them that badly, they can put them on their own car.

They're just being cheap and lazy themselves. Free labor. Yay.

That's an incredibly bigoted view btw. I've never pointed out that illegal Mexicans are lazy or complain too much.
Biggest reason why I don't work for Autozone anymore... NO! And on top of that they have the balls to frown upon accepting tips from customers when you actually go install a battery in the freezing snow storm.
Yep.
No, but having a high ticket average, and a high monthly average keeps the boss out of your ass and typically nets you more than 3% on your annual merit raise.

Plus it's a competitive thing. You don't want that douchebag Ford guy to out-sell you and since he's the guy everyone comes to for Ford parts and advice, he's already got a leg up.
Yep. Granted I really don't care who I beat.
you guys must really suck at wiper refills

thats part of what i do at work to the cars that are on maintenance plans

they take like 2 minutes...

i dont work at a parts store though.
Honda wiper refills on a Honda wiper is easy as s**t.

Now if I'm using some sort of unknown wiper and putting Anco refills on... not as easy. The Anco refills come in narrow, universal and wide (thickness of the rubber blade). But only for certain lengths. So there's no telling that I will for sure have what they need anyway.

Narrow ones will fall out of some wipers. Wide ones won't come close. Universal can do both. Sometimes they fit.

A lot of the time the wipers they're using aren't meant to use refills either. So you have to bend them up quite a bit to get anything in or out of them.
WTF is a high ticket average?

I get payed commission, but its different for every product. I just sold a custom computer that payed me 1% of what the customer payed.
Commission drops FTL.
It means you want to sell the more expensive products and more items each time you ring someone out.

It goes so far that if you want to buy a soda or snack, managers will encourage you to ring every other employee out at the same time so you have more than one or two items being rang out.

Not to mention WITTDTJR (What It Takes to Do the Job Right). yes, we HAVE to ask you if you want terminal protectant or bulb grease or brake cleaner.

Here's a site talking about ticket averages too.
http://pitstopconsulting.net/article10.htm

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not lazy or scared. It's just rude for them to demand me to do something that I'm not really supposed to do (according to the company). Not to mention that they blame you if their wiper or whatever breaks.

I don't install refills because they often take a lot of time and there's a fair chance the wipers will break. Not to mention it can cut your hands up when you're bending those little metal pieces all around. If the customer wants them that badly, they can put them on their own car.
:rolf:

...and yeah, I'm lazy. :Devil:

As far as refills go. I've been out of the Discount Auto Parts game for awhile. But O'Reilly used to sell Pylon brand refills. They are made of cheap polypropylene plastic and come in two widths. Too wide, and too narrow. either way you are going to have to adjust the width on the tabs and if you are not REAL careful, you'll snap those little prongs off.

It's easy to say, "oh, I can do refills in a few seconds." So can I if they are the refills intended for that particular wiper blade. '

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It means you want to sell the more expensive products and more items each time you ring someone out.

It goes so far that if you want to buy a soda or snack, managers will encourage you to ring every other employee out at the same time so you have more than one or two items being rang out.

Not to mention WITTDTJR (What It Takes to Do the Job Right). yes, we HAVE to ask you if you want terminal protectant or bulb grease or brake cleaner.

Here's a site talking about ticket averages too.
http://pitstopconsulting.net/article10.htm
How do they keep track of what items you sell? Everytime I buy s**t there, I just walk it up to the counter. Offering terminal protectant, or bulb grease isnt too bad. Itll be an easy few dollars for the store to keep.

At my job, we give "quotes". Which is a piece of paper with our names, product code, product description, total price, customer name and a BARCODE. The customer then hands the quote to the cashier and we get payed. If the customer drops the quote, or leaves in the cart, there goes our commission. :(

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How do they keep track of what items you sell? Everytime I buy s**t there, I just walk it up to the counter. Offering terminal protectant, or bulb grease isnt too bad. Itll be an easy few dollars for the store to keep.

At my job, we give "quotes". Which is a piece of paper with our names, product code, product description, total price, customer name and a BARCODE. The customer then hands the quote to the cashier and we get payed. If the customer drops the quote, or leaves in the cart, there goes our commission. :(
All Autozone employees are assigned to a register for the day. Each person has their own (occasionally they overlap though).

In order to access the register, you need to put in your password every time. You have to put that in even before you scan any items. It's really quick though.

So my number, employee ID, name, etc. is connected to every sale I make.

So the computers keep track of my sales, how much was spent, what was sold, etc.

So it would work like this:

You come in and buy some wax. You walk to the register and I greet you. I might ask you if you want hand cleaner or shop towels (those are the two items that are WITTTDTJR for all items sold), or I might ask you if you have any microfiber towels, car wash, etc. Something related.

You decide if you want to buy anything else and lay it on the counter top.

I typed in my password while I was asking you if you wanted anything else.

I scan the items, tell you the total and you pay. I give you the receipt and wish you well, bag your items, etc.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
autozone has the best prices at a parts store around here. kragen is like the savemart of auto parts.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not to thread track or derail this thread, but which prices are the best?

I tend to like Advanced Auto Parts

Pepboys seems to have the highest prices, but have the biggest selection...

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
All Autozone employees are assigned to a register for the day. Each person has their own (occasionally they overlap though).

In order to access the register, you need to put in your password every time. You have to put that in even before you scan any items. It's really quick though.

So my number, employee ID, name, etc. is connected to every sale I make.

So the computers keep track of my sales, how much was spent, what was sold, etc.

So it would work like this:

You come in and buy some wax. You walk to the register and I greet you. I might ask you if you want hand cleaner or shop towels (those are the two items that are WITTTDTJR for all items sold), or I might ask you if you have any microfiber towels, car wash, etc. Something related.

You decide if you want to buy anything else and lay it on the counter top.

I typed in my password while I was asking you if you wanted anything else.

I scan the items, tell you the total and you pay. I give you the receipt and wish you well, bag your items, etc.
Where do you work again??
It seems easier for you to get your sales, because some people dont want to take the quote I give them because they know I get payed on commission and they dont like ti. :(

Where I work, the average item would pay about $2. Say for example, an external hard drive. It would pay me $2 commission. They encourage us to accessorize them. Which means to add a bag, fire wire cable and a warranty. The bag and cable would pay at the MOST .25 cents which is not enough to get us to sell it so none of us do. We DO try and sell the warranty because it pays us 15%.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It seems easier for you to get your sales, because some people dont want to take the quote I give them because they know I get payed on commission and they dont like ti. :(

Where I work, the average item would pay about $2. Say for example, an external hard drive. It would pay me $2 commission. They encourage us to accessorize them. Which means to add a bag, fire wire cable and a warranty. The bag and cable would pay at the MOST .25 cents which is not enough to get us to sell it so none of us do. We DO try and sell the warranty because it pays us 15%.
Do you work at Radioshack? :lol:
I used to work there when I was 18-19.... Not a cool job; sucked....

Yeah, it is cool knowing that you can make a lot of money, but it is not as easy as management and corporate think..... Most of the people are set in there ways and if you dare mention an extended warranty you get the "No of death"....

Flip the script around.... Customers hate this s**t ...

When I worked at the Gap :oops: (Please don't flame) when I was 19, we would have to ask/loffer the GAP card 3 times.... We must have heard three NO's to be done with the customer. Being an a*****e when my manager was up front, I asked twice with a very "salesman-annoying" tone and on the 2nd NO, the lady said "I said NO the first time, Allright!!!" and I turned to my manager and said "See, it's stupid"....

She yanked me off the cash register and pulled me in the back and wrote me up :lol:

She hated me, but she was hot though...:shock:

civicsi94

dial up ownz me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
in my area it depends. if u work a register u must be 18 but u can operate any other computer or do any position but again thats in my area

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
autozone has the best prices at a parts store around here. kragen is like the savemart of auto parts.
O'Reilly recently acquired Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen Auto Parts and Murray's Discount Auto Stores.

As they implement their business practices and pricing, the prices should fall within a few cents + or - of Autozone's.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not to thread track or derail this thread, but which prices are the best?

I tend to like Advanced Auto Parts

Pepboys seems to have the highest prices, but have the biggest selection...
I'd say that probably has to do with what you're buying and where the stores might be located.

Sometimes our prices are lower, sometimes higher.

I work at Autozone.

I doubt everyone knows you get commission. I don't know. Perhaps it depends on if you work in a fashion that makes it seem like you get a commission.

I've found customers are more likely to come back if you're friendly with them and especially if you can joke around with them or find common ground.

Let the customer know you're on their side and they'll more likely to like you more. Yeah, if it were my store I wouldn't ask you if you're sure there is nothing else that's possibly in the store that you might want to buy, but the company makes me, so please, for my sake, bear with me. :P