How replace fuel and brake lines myself?

jinkstuhhhh

hey clubcivic im new to the fourms and i was jsut recently told i need to replace the fuel line break line etc and it would run me about 1500.. what would i need to do this myself

RonJ

Banned
What makes you think all the brake and fuel lines must be replaced?

(Thread title changed to reflect the question)

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
unless they are leaking or clogged they dont need to be replaced. in general they usually arent replaced ever in the life of a honda unless they are physically damaged somehow

jinkstuhhhh

What makes you think all the brake and fuel lines must be replaced?

(Thread title changed to reflect the question)
the fuel line is leaking reaks off gas and theyre all rusted looks like they about to fall off or something

jinkstuhhhh

unless they are leaking or clogged they dont need to be replaced. in general they usually arent replaced ever in the life of a honda unless they are physically damaged somehow
i know the fuel line is damage but like i said ^ theyre all rusted and dont look good

RonJ

Banned
Study the diagrams. Then search the local junk yards for 96-98 Civics (fuel lines) or 96-00 Civics (brake lines and hoses).

If your brake lines are all bad, then you may also need to replace the master cylinder, calipers, and wheel cylinders.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not that this is a relatively hard task... but it is time consuming... and will require you to remove most of the interior...

all the lines run into the interior of the car. if they are damaged on the outside of the car.. that is unfortunate...

the most difficult parts will be to get the entire line in in one piece... as.. these are usually created one by one while on the assembly line....the bends will make it extremely difficult to get outside the body in one shot..

before you do anything... track down the source of the actuall leaks. if they are in the middle of the line.. and not where they join... then yea.. they need changed. but just becasue they look rusty... doesnt mean they are bad. ive seen the worst looking lines before and they still came apart like new. i pulled a rear end out of a 71 ford truck last week and the brake line to the rear was scary looking... but no signs of a leak...

we decided to unhook it at another location becasue of fear of snapping the flare fitting...which is common.

but the line itself had no spots to where there was an obvious leak. so really.. unless you see that... chances are they are fine...

and unless your car has been sititing in a lake for years.... your lines should not be that bad.

just do yourself a favor and look real good at them. the fuel lines may just be the rubber parts leaking... which is repairable. as well as the brake lines. if the rubber hoses are leaking that is easy and much cheaper. just do a real good inspection before you decide on anything

RonJ

Banned
just do yourself a favor and look real good at them. the fuel lines may just be the rubber parts leaking... which is repairable. as well as the brake lines. if the rubber hoses are leaking that is easy and much cheaper. just do a real good inspection before you decide on anything
Excellent advice Chris.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my bros car has a strong smell of gas.... but... since his car has not moved in 4 years.... the gas tank was left with 3/4 tank of gas... it rusted the seam in the middle of the tank.. and begun to leak after he got it going... so now he needs to change the tank.. which is a ton better than changing fuel lines that we thought were leaking.

jinkstuhhhh

my bros car has a strong smell of gas.... but... since his car has not moved in 4 years.... the gas tank was left with 3/4 tank of gas... it rusted the seam in the middle of the tank.. and begun to leak after he got it going... so now he needs to change the tank.. which is a ton better than changing fuel lines that we thought were leaking.
i recently got the car from a guy who said he hasnt used it in a while .. you think it could be the gas tank?

jinkstuhhhh

Study the diagrams. Then search the local junk yards for 96-98 Civics (fuel lines) or 96-00 Civics (brake lines and hoses).

If your brake lines are all bad, then you may also need to replace the master cylinder, calipers, and wheel cylinders.
this is starting to sound like a lot =/

deschlong

5+ Year Member
Good point. I purchased a vehicle that had been sitting for a while, and the last time I took it out (in the fall) I saw fuel spraying everywhere underneath it. Not cool (and risk of fire - Jesus). I figured it was holes rusted in the fuel lines, but it might have been fuel spraying out the seam in the tank. I'll have to have a good close look (with a mirror) when I get under there later in the spring.

Incidentally, it is possible to repair fuel lines without replacing the entire line - use some rubber fuel tubing and proper clamps (make sure the clamps are for fuel line). You should be OK. Google it.

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
tank is much easier of a task then all the lines... i would do what everyone here would do and find where the leak is or check for any damage from pictures RonJ posted before

Winn R

Although this is an old thread, I'm happy it's here and pass along my thanks to you guys for your help.

My son just got a '98 civic that lived on the streets of Chicago. It's only got 25000 miles but the road salt collected in the protector and ate through the brake lines. He suffered a total hydrollic brake loss. I suspect the op's vehicle had a similar past.

I've ordered a 3/16" line, bender, double flare tool, and connectors. I'll let you guys know how it goes.