1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

How To: 96-98 EK Manual Climate swap to 99-00 EK Electronic **

Discussion in 'Interior / Audio / Electronics DIY How-To's' started by NOFX, Nov 25, 2006.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. NOFX

NOFX I'm NOT eran! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Okay, I'm REALLY hoping a mod will sticky this because this question is asked ALL the damn time. Each time I see it, I go back and find the Honda-Tech thread and link it. Maybe if it's at least on the site and stickied it will at least be easier for OGs to find and link to anyone who asks.

This how-to was written by chameleon on Honda-Tech. I can't answer any of your questions as far as details. Please direct any questions to other members, or better yet, this thread:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=605432

2. NOFX

KEYWORDS: climate control ac a/c heat dash conversion swap 96-98 99-00 96 97 98 99 00 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 knobs slider manual mechanical electrical ej ek em em1 ej8 ej7 ej5 ek4 ek9 type r type-r ctr bezel

I might post up some of the PDF manual pages for the '98 in a bit for help on how it all works, etc.

3. YoungKadafi

YoungKadafi Redundant security Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

very good write up however all this is not nessisary, you dont need the heater from the 99+ you only need a few brackets, you dont need to remove the dash.

in all it took me about 2 hours to do the swap, which was easier than putting on my exhaust.

all you need from a 99+ are
    climate controls
    99+ harness for climate control
    12v relay
    the bottom of the blower motor (which unscrews in about 3 seconds)
    a few brackets and the electronic heater levers, which all BOLT RIGHT IN! so we need to spread the work that this is a plug and play mod....i did this all in about 2 hours.

4. NOFX

I'd honestly like to see someone back it up with pics and such because in the three years that thread has been up, you're the first I see to have mentioned that.

5. BlackHopeDC5

BlackHopeDC5 Is Black Again??? :shock: Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

moved to interior audio electronics how to's

6. NOFX

I figured 6th gen worked since it only applies to 6th gen.

JfEJ6 likes this.
  7. qwikxr

qwikxr former PCM#3 Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

yea, lesse it, kadafi... :what: got any pics of this "easy swap"? Got my curiosity now ;)

8. YoungKadafi

YoungKadafi Redundant security Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

BOOYA http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=62319&page=5&highlight=climate+relay

keep that a sticky cuz everybody keeps asking....dunno if anybody tried it, most people looked confused on that thread. Well i went out and did it in 2 hours

Fully functional blower/heater and rear defroster. Thats all i need! my climate control is now a 99+ and didnt break a sweat. Only difficult thing is getting to the bottom of the heater, and replacing the manual switch, with the auto switch, but its common sense.

oh sorry nofx, i see what your talking about.....the thread was just a guidline of what you need for the swap, im just confirming that everything bolts right up, and its super easy. the heater, blower, ac system doesnt need to be changed, only modified with the different brackets, 12v relay and the bottom part of the blower... Just get everything including the 99+ climate harness, and it will be easier then washing your car. Just rip s**t out, and put the new stuff in, all plug and play. You only need to remove the glove box and surrounding panels. Ill take some pics soon.

9. NOFX

Even if that's true, it's still much more than most people are willing to do. Most people seem to only want to get the parts they can see.

10. qwikxr

sweet - thanks for the linky, kadafi

11. chadi

chadi chuatZ Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

is it really worth it?

12. qwikxr

guess it depends on what you're after..

In my case, it'll be worth it, as Im going to use the double-din area, whereas with the 96-98, i cant..

13. PhntmSk8r

PhntmSk8r H23VTEC Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

FYI for the people that look into doing this.

I followed this how-to to strictly remove my dash/heater box on a 96-98 chassis and this how-to didn't cover a lot of extra BS i had to do to get this out.

Kind of strapped for time currently, but i'll update this post here in the next day or so with what i found was missing in this how-to.

Just looking to add more info to this so it'll be a little more helpful to people in the future.

14. Szady

Szady D-Series Master Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Theres a 12mm bolt way up at the base of the steering column, that bolts the dash to the firewall (was not pictured or mentioned in the How-To). If you dont look for it, the dash will not come out. The hardest part by far (for JUST removing the dash), is sorting all the wiring and whatnot.

15. sprmario

sprmario Mario H. 5+ Year Member

Just thought about doing this myself, most people know its alot of work, and are willing to do it. Im in it for the the double din area as well, i already have a 99-00 font end conversion and i think this would just finish it up, plus a 7" tv would look nice in there.

If you happen to have done a write up on this issue please post it, so the rest of us could not have to go thru the extra BS.

16. BosanskaTrava

BosanskaTrava TYPE R 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

id like to see a nice walk through with pictures on doing it without taking off the dash...

17. NOFX

But those parts don't come out without taking out the dash...

18. DJTribal

DJTribal New Member 5+ Year Member

Where to get bracket for hot cold actuator

Hey YoungKadafi, where did u get the 99 actuator bracket? I m hooking up a jdm nav in
    my 96 civic and need a bracket to hold the electronic actuator that moves the heater controls to hot/cold air. Any help will be really appreciated

19. TigBitties

TigBitties Frame Bangin Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

this is from 2008.....

20. Zerovandez

Zerovandez New Member 5+ Year Member

For those of you that did this conversion, how are you mounting/securing the climate control bezel/radio to the dash chassis if you are using the 96-98 dash? I did this conversion a few years back and haven't found a good secure way to do this. So when I launch, my entire bezel gets thrown at me LOL! I was thinking just using zip ties where possible.