Not open for further replies.

turboej7

Garage 808, tuning the NW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99-00 Conversion tutorial (56k warning)

HOW – TO – ’99-‘00 Conversion

This is my tutorial showing and proving the fact that you don’t need an upper radiator core support from a 99-00 civic to do this swap, you can use your current stock one. This is a list of all the stuff I bought for my conversion

Front Bumper
Headlights
Fenders
Headlight brackets (not needed, but came with headlights)
Lip (optional)
Hood
Grill

My conversion took me maybe 4 hours to do and I haven’t done one before or have yet to see one done, this was all done by hear say. Most tools are simple… your basic drill, a hand size sledge hammer, screwdrivers, 10mm wrench or ratchet… most tools you would expect to use on a honda ;)

Step 1 – Stripping the car down (the front end tear down)

You need to take everything off here. Including hood, fenders, front bumper, headlight, & headlight brackets. You will have to massage your front bumper support later on so best to removing anything within close distance to your front bumper support.

Strip it down to like so (just finishing up taking of last fender shown here)

You can read through and go about this your own way, but I started with putting on the fenders first, it will give you something you can attach your front bumper to when you massaging your front bumper support. As you can see below I put in the light, I did that to merely make sure I had the fender all lined up, I highly suggest taking it back off when doing the next step. That is unless you want to buy another headlight

This is the fun part; I will show you the pics first and explain why afterwards so that you have the images in you head

The reason for doing this is so that your lines will match up (lines = fender to bumper). I can give you a rough measurement but its best to put on your fenders and put your front bumper up for fitment so that you can see how far the ends are gonna have to be pushed back, it may take putting the bumper up a few time to get it perfect so its best to have a friend nearby to help you out if possible (rough measurement ¼ of an inch). Make sure you get the top of that bumper support bent back enough so that you will have free play when buttoning it up to the upper radiator support for the final product. If you have any questions about this step feel free to pm or email or post below. I will mention the fact that you will no longer need the Styrofoam cover… it will not fit if you put that on, if your worried about the ends of the front support rubbing the bumper then tape them up or cover them with a thin material, I left mine as is and have yet to have a problem

However it should line up like so…

With that done you can now put in your headlights and swap the hoods... The picture below will show what to modify at the top of your bumper so that you can fasten it to your upper support…

After doing that to both sides.... now you are gonna need to get a hold of a angle grinder of some sort to round the edges of your upper support... otherwise it will push the bumper out to far and wont be able to fasten your grill or bumper into the holes... see pictures below to see what you need to grind. If all else fails…. Then widen out your holes and fasten it the best you can… if you have massaged the front support enough you should have enough flex to move it around, but these outside aren’t the sole holders of the bumper if your still using a OEM grill (grill is well secured to bumper adding to stability of holding the bumper on from the top of the support)

This may look hokey or seem obscured... but you will see none of these steps when it’s all said and done. Now finish up by fastening your grill and adjust whatever you deem necessary to get it to fit right... when I finished the only gap that I have is under my driver side headlight which I can fix by adjusting the headlight up further with a few simple massage techniques... here are some up close finishing shots of the end product.

And last but not least… lil representing my local boys that take care of me and everyone else in the northwest that come knocking, stoped by to get parts for my motor swap next week ;) … ( btw, now the only shop south of Salem, Oregon with a dyno – Garage 808 specializes in Honda, Acura, motor swaps, custom turbo installs, full motor builds, you name it and he will give it his best shot… ) (541-687-8832)

Thanks for checking out my how-to… if I missed anything feel free to let me know or if you have any questions… I will state this was done WITHOUT changing any supports whatsoever other than massaging the front bumper support alil. Thanks and good luck

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So has anyone used this DIY and had any success? PM me with pics and let me know. Thanks

mattuu10

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey man nice job but i wanted to know what color those rims are? i know theyre the rota circuit 10, but what color?

slammed ek9

5+ Year Member
mattuu10 said:
hey man nice job but i wanted to know what color those rims are? i know theyre the rota circuit 10, but what color?
there full royal sports bronze

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im planning on getting a Cervini's Design Sniper R kit for my 96... sadly they only make it for 99-00 so I am doing the conversion for the kit. I'll send ya pics when I get the kit and finish the job... Nice Writeup!

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yooo i got the same rims except in gunmetal...nice civ dude. im planning on doing the same swap too. i have a 96 but i love how the 99+ fonts look.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
did this about 2 weeks ago, love every minute of it...

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i did this about a year ago but i kept the 96-98 bumper support the same and didn't modify it. i was wondering if someone could clarify exactly what you did to the bumper support so i can try that because my fenders and bumper don't line up at all. here's a picture:

i use the styrofoam support, should i take that out? that may be why its hard to put on and seems like i have to stretch the bumper and push hard to get it to line up everytime i take it off.

do i still have to grind down the metal bumper support? how do i do that and what do i use? thanks for the help

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah get rid of the styafoam support, and the 4 corners on the metal support, you have to bang them in a lil bit

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
red96civicex said:
yeah get rid of the styafoam support, and the 4 corners on the metal support, you have to bang them in a lil bit
with what, just a hammer?

does yours fit up perfectly like his?

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah pretty close to it...just use a hammer haha

ill get some pics tommorow. PM sometime

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i tried a hammer and it barely made a dent. anyone know a more efficient way to bend the tabs down on the bumper support?

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive heard of garage 808 before.. hmm.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
use a sledge and dont be a pussy.

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If all the bumper supports are the same... which I have never replaced one before you may get lucky and not have to beat down on the corners. However I was using what was there and found fitament problems and seen that some certain massaging was needed. And yes, use a sledge... make sure your hood is up and your headlights are out before hammering down on the bumper support. I would even suggest taking a couple towls and laying them over to soften the blow in case you miss, however im a worry'some kinda guy like that.

Good and luck with your installs and please post pics of completed conversions. I am know back on clubcivic, so feel free to PM me if you have any problems and I will gladly answer or give my number so I can walk ya through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.