1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

How To: "Big 3" Ground Upgrade

Discussion in 'Interior / Audio / Electronics DIY How-To's' started by 1999stockaccord, Mar 15, 2007.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1999stockaccord

1999stockaccord Honduh's... LULZ Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I take no credit for this, I found it on www.the12volt.com Install Bay Forums

2. 1999stockaccord

Comments from a Moderator over there:

3. DaGFTDOne

DaGFTDOne Car Audio Guru Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Nice find Marc, looks good =)

4. sohclubkid

sohclubkid Sick 6/6 Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

nice... im gonna try that.

5. 1999stockaccord

6. devo1104

devo1104 New Member 5+ Year Member

I did my engine and tranny ground wire replacement today and took some pics. I will do my engine one tomorrow because I forgot to get a battery connector for mine. I used 4 gauge wire with 7/16" ring terminals. DO NOT DO THIS if you do not know what you are doing. I assume no liability for any problems or injuries that you may encounter while doing this. My father was an electrician for numerous years and has passed on his knowledge to me. It took me about 30 minutes to complete.

Here is what you will need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you gather all of that up, turn off your car, and pop your hood open. There will be a wire on the driverside right behind that head light that connects to the alternator and the front brace. It is where the head light connects to the front brace.

[​IMG]

I numbered the two bolts you need to undo to get it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In order to get it off, I used the thin extension through the adapter that was in my dad's socket set because my ratchet wouldn't fit.

[​IMG]

Once you take it off, measure out the wire and make a new wire. Make sure to crimp the wires really well!!!!!! You do not want the wire to come out while you are driving. Here is a comparison of the wires.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of the new wire installed.

[​IMG]

Now that you are done with that wire, you need to go over to the other side of the car to where the intake is.

[​IMG]

Undo these two bolts and pull out the intake.

[​IMG]

Once you have done that, you will be able to see the ground wire coming off the tranny.

[​IMG]

Remove the two bolts that are holding it in place and remove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you have it out, measure it against your new wire and crimp the ends. Here is another comparisson photo.

[​IMG]

Once you have done that, install the new wire into your car. This is a photo of the wire installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After you have finished installing that wire, reinstall the intake box and test out your car.

I will update tomorrow night after I have installed the ground wire from the battery. I hope you enjoy. Also so far this mod has cost me less than $5 due to the fact that I had the wire laying around and I bought the ring terminals from Circuit City for 60% off =)

7. Zaiber

Zaiber New Member 5+ Year Member

Devo, did you wire loom your cables afterwards? And...how did it look?

8. codyspeedy

codyspeedy Cody T 5+ Year Member

Did you upgrade the negative battery cable? (ground) I thought your spost to

9. Mugenn_civic

Mugenn_civic New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

im gunna bump this ancient thread, it's a very simple and smart upgrade, but i will add, slightly sand contact points before reinstalling ground wires. this will improve conductivity rather than trying to ground over rust.

10. scarhead92

scarhead92 New Member Registered VIP

where is the negative battery cable upgrade haha

11. angushuck

angushuck New Member

Sweet, thanks for this, really a big help for me too =)

12. mrprofits1

mrprofits1 New Member

this!
    i only saw big 2

13. mrprofits1

mrprofits1 New Member

will def do it

14. Chris1801

Chris1801 New Member

Good stuff if your pushing an aftermarket system this should be your first step cant go wrong with it and use 0-gauge cables when doing this for best results.

15. DMaldonado93

DMaldonado93 New Member

Ive learned that for the best results, to ground the battery to the engine block and to ground the other to one of the strut tower bolts. It is the most solid connection to the entire body of the car.

16. 93sihatchguy

93sihatchguy New Member 5+ Year Member

Bump for good info for guys who are into car audio

17. lurice01

lurice01 New Member

devo1144: nice pics. In the 6th pic, is that how i ground the alternator? I need to ground my alternator on my 95 civic. How do I do it? Also, can you post pics about how to run a power wire from the alternator to the battery? Should i use a fuse on the wire from in between alternator and positive battery terminal? Thanks anyone.

18. lethal6

lethal6 Das Auto! Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

This thread is over 8 years old. OP is long gone. Sorry.

Please post any questions in the correct section and make sure to include everything about your vehicle. Model, trim, mods, engine/trans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.