How to bleed brake?

D16z6PN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How do you bleed/change brake fluid for a 94 ex?? and what kind of tools will I need. All I know as of so far is that the bleeder screw is somewhere on the caliper. Step by step would be great.

Thank you.

modatrd03

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
D16z6PN said:
How do you bleed/change brake fluid for a 94 ex?? and what kind of tools will I need. All I know as of so far is that the bleeder screw is somewhere on the caliper. Step by step would be great.

Thank you.
starting at each wheel, stick some plastic tubing around the bleeder valve, submerse the other end in a small canister of brake fluid, turn your wrench to release the valve and have a assistant, pump the pedal until it flows clear in the canister (no bubbles at all), then tighten and keep checking your master cyl.

jameson1686

forever a post whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that works but another way is to rotate from the brakes farthest from master cyl. and open the bleader valves (small little grease fittings on the brakes(11 mm i think) and allow them to bleed till all the fluid is clear that comes out. then tighten the bleeder valves in the opposite order then you took them off. remember brake fluid will remove paint and to never let the brake fluid go empty in the master cyl..

D16z6PN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So your not suppose to have an assistant hold on the brake pedal and then you open the screw?? Wouldn't pumping the brake bring air back in?

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your assistant pumps the breaks allowing fluid to flush thru the system. When it appears that there are no bubbles in the tube, have him/her stop pumping but hold the brake pedal down until you tighten the bleeder valve. Start on the pass rear, then driver rear, then pass front, and finish with driver front. Make sure to check the fluid resivior after each wheel. If you suck all the fluid out of the resivior, you have to start all over again because air has entered back into the lines.

Good luck.

D16z6PN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So your saying that I should not bleed all the fulid out right?? and leave some in the resivior.

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
D16z6PN said:
So your saying that I should not bleed all the fulid out right?? and leave some in the resivior.

Correct...just bleed them until you get all the bubbles/air out of the lines. You might have to go thru the proceedure a couple of times.

JR-Style

Technician
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there are many ways to do it, gravity bleed, reverse pressure bleed, pressure bleed and then manual bleed. if you are alone, just gravity bleed it, wont get any air and you can do it by yourself very easily. just crack all the bleeders and watch the resavoir, when they drip clean, close them and top it up. easy and gets it done.. just takes the longest to have to wait for it all to flush and go clean (remember not to let the res go emtpy or you will have to bleed even longer or try other methods to get the air out)

jameson1686

forever a post whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ thats how i do it at work. that way i just crack the bleeders and go work on another car. just get in the rythmn of checking the fluid. usully once i go through 1-2 bottles of fluid it is perfectly new/clean

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't see how the "drip" method gets the air out of the lines though.