How To: Buddy Club seat / Memory Fab super low sliders

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I'm always taking information from Club Civic but I'm never posting much. So heres a little for anyone looking at bucket seats.

I started running autocross this April, and decided long before that I wanted a good bucket seat for it. After a lot of research I settled on the Buddy Club Racing Spec seat, Memory Fab Super Low Position Seat Rails, and Sparco 4 Point single buckle 2in bolt in harness.

The seat is a high quality fiberglass frame with sufficient padding wrapped around the front of the seat. I am approxmately 6' 1", 165lbs., with a 34in waist. Theres no way to describe this seat other than freakin' tight. It holds me tight enough I would feel safe being launched into space in it. In spite of this it's surprisingly comfortable. Well padded and gives a good seating position. After driving my car with this in for a few weeks, I sat in my brothers Corbeau steel-framed seat, and felt like I was on a park bench.

The Memory Fab seat bracket is awesome. Great and solid construction. Just remember that when they call it a "super low position mount," they are not even remotely kidding. The new seat puts my sitting position a full 3 inches or more lower than stock. This makes daily driving slightly tougher for a few weeks until you get used to it, and may flat out be too low. If you are shorter than 6 feet tall, DO NOT use this bracket. But on the upside, g-forces are almost non-existent. The bracket has on it a stock seat belt mount, which is great for daily driving, since you can't turn to check your blind spot with a 4 point on.

The harness is a good solid harness legal for street use and solid for track use. Although like some other inexpensive harnesses, I've noticed a small tendancy to loosen up over time. It's a small complaint and barely noticeable, but then again I use it for 80 seconds at a time.

Here are some pictures of the set up for anyone who wants to see. If anyone wants more pictures or different angles just let me know and I'll put them up. Overall I love the set up and would recommend it to others. I'm having a friend make me a few modified L pieces for the seat bracket to raise it up about an inch, and see if its any better. As it is I think its so low I'm having trouble seeing cones when they get close. Also one thing to keep in mind that I DIDN'T know, is that in some types of racing the seat can actually change your class. For instance, I run SCCA sanctioned autocross, and I was bumped up 2 classes (to street-modified) because the seat is not upholstered on the back.

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice write up and good info man

Thanks!

Moved to How To section

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
where are those upper belts going. I thought you had to get a special bar to have four point harnesses. I was looking at that seat and it looks awesome. Doesn't stand out as much from the stock seat as I thought. Also, is it tough to get in and out of the car from day to day?

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1337 | RCE said:
where are those upper belts going. I thought you had to get a special bar to have four point harnesses. I was looking at that seat and it looks awesome. Doesn't stand out as much from the stock seat as I thought. Also, is it tough to get in and out of the car from day to day?
The upper pieces of the harness are attached to the lower rear seatbelt mounts. A harness bar is safer (not to mention gives you a place to mount a camera) but it's $300 I'd rather spend on something else.

Getting in the seat isn't too difficult, getting out is always a b***h. I usually just plant my hands on the sides and lift myself out; but without 2 free hands its almost impossible. But its completely worth it. I LOVE the seat

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice writeup.

Completely unsafe, and the fact that you'd rather spend $300 on something other than ensuring your life is crazy ....

but nice writeup.

RockintheEKoupe

Icantbelieveitjustbroke!
5+ Year Member
I sure hope you dont end up dead because of those harnesses. They will crush your spine if you decelerate too quickly (i.e. like hitting a wall). you need to have them LEVEL or above the shoudler cut outs. but badass seats dude, i love those.

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Eran said:
Nice writeup.

Completely unsafe, and the fact that you'd rather spend $300 on something other than ensuring your life is crazy ....

but nice writeup.
I only use the harness when I'm racing, and its only a danger if you flip. If I flip on an airstrip then I've got bigger problems than my mounting set up. ;)

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RockintheEKoupe said:
I sure hope you dont end up dead because of those harnesses. They will crush your spine if you decelerate too quickly (i.e. like hitting a wall). you need to have them LEVEL or above the shoudler cut outs. but badass seats dude, i love those.
According to Sparco, Corbeau, and the SCCA; they need to be at LESS THAN A 45 DEGREE ANGLE to be safely mounted. Lower than level is perfectly fine so long as its not too low. My brother's harness in his S14 is mounted too low and an SCCA tech made a big deal about it. And besides, I'm only using it in AutoX, the only thing i can hit are cones. I might try HPDE next year, but I'll definately get a harness bar if I do that

RockintheEKoupe

Icantbelieveitjustbroke!
5+ Year Member
those aren't sparcos or corbeaus.... jk man, just busting your balls. i wish i had a setup like that