How To: Change your white interior lighting to amber.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, I got alot of questions about how to go about changing your interior lighting to amber, so here goes a very quick write-up, NOT of the installation, but merely the parts needed:

NOTE: This is for 99-00, not 96-98.

Parts:

79609-S02-A01 x 2 (for the knobs)
79609-S02-A11 x 2 (for the 3 buttons along the bottom):

So that's for the climate control. As far as the cluster, I have the si cluster with clear bulbs and that's just how it lights up from the factory. If you want to keep your EX cluster and go amber, then use one of the write-ups found in the archive to change your cluster bulbs to amber.

As far as the radio, it's also the si radio and I have NOT found a method to change the color of the radio. Thus, this part needs to be replaced if you want amber lighting, not just the bulbs.

Hopes this helps to clarify a bit, since there seems to be ALOT of questions regarding amber lighting interior. :thumbup:

Sprint_2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey thanks/. Is that a deeper amber than the one the EK Si already comes in?

remixboy

5+ Year Member
thanks for the info, i was wondering how that was done. I'm new to this whole tuner world so i have a question. I have an EX but say i bought an SI cluster would that automatically light up amber as well or do i ahve to change the lights in the cluster too?

Ub3RdoRK

ZoMGRoFLCoPTER
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how much did that cost you for the 4 bulbs together?

Ub3RdoRK

ZoMGRoFLCoPTER
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
AND would be so kind and measure the base of the bulbs in mm. im trying to do this but i didnt do amber so i dont have an option to go to honda. at the auto illumination website there are 3 different bases....type A,B and C. basically by size. I cant find out the size i need before i rip the whole dash apart.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey thanks/. Is that a deeper amber than the one the EK Si already comes in?
Possibly aftermarket, but to me the darkness is good enough. You'd probably have to go with LEDs for a sharper / deeper contrast.

thanks for the info, i was wondering how that was done. I'm new to this whole tuner world so i have a question. I have an EX but say i bought an SI cluster would that automatically light up amber as well or do i ahve to change the lights in the cluster too?
Yes, the si cluster lights up amber automatically. On the back side there's actually clear bulbs, NOT amber. The cluster itself has red "shields" that change it to amber.

how much did that cost you for the 4 bulbs together?
Maybe $12 or so, thats to the public. I work at Honda, so it was obviously less.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
would this work for a em2?
Well, I just reference the bulbs at work and it looks like for the heater control, the EX bulbs are the same as the Si.

Other than that, it'd be the cd player (which would need to be changed out) and the cluster (which would also need to be changed out).

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice Evan :thumbs up.

I wonder how it would look if I changed the climate control bulbs and left my cluster stock :lol:. Hmm... How much do those bulbs run? The last thing I need to do right now in my current family situation is spend money but if it's a few bucks, I'll consider it.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice Evan :thumbs up.

I wonder how it would look if I changed the climate control bulbs and left my cluster stock :lol:. Hmm... How much do those bulbs run? The last thing I need to do right now in my current family situation is spend money but if it's a few bucks, I'll consider it.
Haha its still cool. I like ANY amber interior lighting. The bulbs run $12 for all four. Maybe $2 less for you ;)

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well, I just reference the bulbs at work and it looks like for the heater control, the EX bulbs are the same as the Si.

Other than that, it'd be the cd player (which would need to be changed out) and the cluster (which would also need to be changed out).
the em2 already has amber lighting except for the temp control is red/blue
:lol:

Quadrunner804

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow, its a good thing I found this thread because I was just about ready to PM you about part numbers for the amber bulbs for the cluster. :smackself But I may have to try switching out the climate control bulbs, especially considering my bottom one under the knobs has been blown for months now. Is it very hard to get to the bulbs once you've got the climate control out? I never really paid attention the few times I've had it out installing head units and such.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow, its a good thing I found this thread because I was just about ready to PM you about part numbers for the amber bulbs for the cluster. :smackself But I may have to try switching out the climate control bulbs, especially considering my bottom one under the knobs has been blown for months now. Is it very hard to get to the bulbs once you've got the climate control out? I never really paid attention the few times I've had it out installing head units and such.
It's simple. They just "twist" out with a flathead (small) or a toothpick actually works best.

Black99CivicSi

Honda GSR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry for a retard question :retard: but what about the guage cluster itself? how many and what kind? on my bulbs they say V-2 :what: where can i get some?

Hellhatch

4 TD's 1 GAME Polk High
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Very good info i just replaced my si bulbs i was able to get the 2 wedge bulbs but the 3 short bulbs honda has discountinued making them. I tried majestic honda my local honda dealer and ongots nothing they dont even have replacement bulb. Anybody have info on the replacement bulbs?

jams_ek

Banned
sup shorty its awesome that someone else on here works for honda other than me but everything is exactly like you said I just did this about a month ago looks pretty sweet...