How to Check Mileage on Clusters without a car

mutley1

Hello,

I have two clusters for Honda Civic 2001 - 2005. I would like to check the mileage on them, but I am unable to. How should I proceed? I do not have the male connectors or anything... Just the green and blue female connectors with 22 pins each.

Note: I was able to check mileage on Nissan cluster long time ago just by touching the pins with 12v battery cables. Not with the Civic's. I have two of them, so it cannot be the clusters being bad. I am doing something wrong. Can you help? What Pins to connect to get the reading?

Thanks

mutley1

I do not have a diagram, couldn't find one. Not much trial either, I do not want to kill it. Just connecting battery to it and placing ground on pin #11 or 12 and than going from pin to pin with hot wire. That's about it. Nothing lit up...

RonJ

Banned
I do not have a diagram, couldn't find one. Not much trial either, I do not want to kill it. Just connecting battery to it and placing ground on pin #11 or 12 and than going from pin to pin with hot wire. That's about it. Nothing lit up...
How did you select pin 11 and 12 for your power and ground tests?

mutley1

I was able to find that info somewhere on the web that they should be ground pins, even though it seems weird there are two...

RonJ

Banned
Look in my signature. Click on Manuals site 1. Download the 01-05 Civic manual and/or the 02-03 Civic Si manual. You'll find the circuit diagram for the cluster there. This way, you'll know what pins to apply power and ground, and also learn that the 7th generation cluster is much more sophisticated that clusters of earlier generations.

mutley1

Thank you! I am able to find the circuit diagram, but it doesn't show the pins nor there is a legend of some kind, so I won't be able to say which pin is for what...

mutley1

Still Not Answered

My question has still not been answered. Anyone can help me with this?:(

Honda Civic 01-05, instruments cluster wiring diagram. I have two connectors. Blue and Green, both 22 pins. I need to be able to check the mileage on the clusters without connecting it to the car. Which cables or pins do I need to connect? I have the cables and male connectors available. Thanks

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wish I knew how to help man :/ hopefully someone will be along soon. I'll try and research it and report back if I can find anything

mutley1

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to apply to my two (green and blue) connectors. The colors do not match my cables and the numbers seem to be off. I would say the green connector is the one I need for the mileage display. It has 9 cables in it...

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is there a black (ground) and white / red (power) on the green connector? Just going by that table. That's really all I can seem to find for 7th gen cluster wiring. I don't have a manual handy.

mutley1

I found this. It matches my cables exactly. Before I try it, does anyone have an idea how should I try to connect it? I am going to be hooking it up directly to a battery, no fuses, so I want to do it right. Please advise:

GREEN Connector:

Blue: From ECM/PCM, Tach input signal
White/Red: Constant 12 v +
Yellow: Switched 12V+
Blue/White: From ECM/PCM And VSS input signal
Yellow/Black: From fuel level sending unit
White/Green: From multiplex control unit
Black: Ground
Pink: (Canada Vehicles only) Washer fluid level switch
White/Blue: (Canada Vehicles only) DRL Control unit
Black/Yellow: Security control unit
Blue/Yellow: Cruise control unit
Pink/Blue: OPDS unit (Side airbags)

BLUE Connector:

Black: Ground
green/orange: From ECM/PCM
Blue/Red: From ABS Control unit
Pink: From SRS unit
Red/Black: Supplies 12V+ for dash backlights
Red: Supplies switched ground for dash lights
Green/Red: Left turn signal indicator
Green/Yellow: Right turn signal indicator
Red/Blue: Combination light switch
Blue/Orange: Immobilizer control unit
Red/Yellow: From no 15 fuse under hood
White/Red: From no 9 fuse under hood
Yellow/Red: From oil pres switch

Thanks

mutley1

One down, One to go!

OK, I have figured out FINALLY one cluster! I have connected Black wire to Ground, and then connected White/Red and Yellow together to 12V+. It nicely displayed mileage on it.

HOWEVER, my second cluster, now confirmed being for 2003-2005 Civic must have different wiring as this approach does not work. The connectors are not on top as the first one, but rather only Green is on the top and the Blue is on the side top. Same connectors pin-wise, but not the same wires most likely. Sadly, I do not have the original plug from that one, so I do not know the layout of the cables.

Can someone, who has access to the connectors, take a picture of the Green plug with the wires?
The cluster needed, has the FRONT with orange needles and black background with three chrome rings. The BACK does not have any bulbs visible, unlike other 2001-2003 models.

Thank you for any help.

mutley1

I have got the answer! These people not only get me the connector for free, but as well helped me with the answers I needed. Thanks *link removed per the no advertising rule*

Last edited by a moderator: