How to check Oil Pressure and Oil Pump?

pburchins

5+ Year Member
We are in the process of swapping motors. The last motor we put in threw a rod in the # 4 cylinder. We started to take apart the old engine and everything looks good. I am wondering if the oil pump failed on the motor and wasn't pumping the oil. I don't want the same thing to happen on the new (used) engine.

How can I confirm that the pump is working and the oil pressure is actually ok ?

Thanks,

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
install it and get a oil pressure gauge. or you can do this.

pburchins

5+ Year Member
Great......Thank you for the information! I want to double check so I don't have to put another engine in the car. =)

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no problem. i dont blame you.

krisma

5+ Year Member
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have an oil pressure issue that I would like to piggy back on this:

I recently did a head gasket/timing belt/water pump change. A day and half after completing the work and driving about 110 miles my oil pressure light came on while going about 65-70 mph/2800-3000 rpm. I quickly pulled off on the highway verified good oil quantity and nothing visually loose in the engine compartment.

After my checks I started the car and no light came on except for the startup light check. I proceeded home normally about another 28-30 miles and then the light started to flicker like crazy, shut off, flicker intermittently, then stayed on for the next 5-8 miles until I got home. Again, I shut the car off quantity still good. I had someone run the car while I wiggles all the wire harnesses then had them take it up to 3000 rpm ad did the same thing, but could not get the light to come on.

So... I went out and bought an analog direct read oil pressure gauge and installed it today 5-11-09, completely bypassing the pressure switch. I turned the car on and the gauge reads 75 psi at idle?!!!

Any thoughts on this high psi reading? Bad gauge from stock?

Car has 190,000 miles 1995 LX 1.5 ltr.

Thank you all!!

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow. 75 psi is insane for idle. what was it at 3k? maybe a clog somewhere and the pump is trying to push it out with no luck. are you sure you put the head gasket on correctly? could be blocking one of the holes.

krisma

5+ Year Member
well I learned something new! It turns out it's a viscosity issue. On a cold engine or one that has been shut down for a while these type of direct read analog gauges stay on the high side until the engine warms up.

It turns out that after a little while of running the engine the psi drops down to normal range on the gauge. After about 5 minutes idle was reading about 10 psi, 3k was about 58-62 psi (gauge doesn't give a lot of accurate increments). I did a series of quick on/off's after the engine was warm and it went to reading what manual specs call for. I then did about 3 on/off's giving the car about 30-45 minutes in between and I got the same high psi issue every time, but every time it also came down after a while.

Cheap gauge maybe, but more than like viscosity was the culprit. Hope this info helps others.