How To: DIY Riveting Factory Door Sills to Carpet (for those replacing carpet.)

civic_rice

DIY Riveting Factory Door Sills to Carpet (for those replacing carpet)

Door Sills are the factory plastic panels covering the lower portion of the door frame. The main purpose is to protect the paint from footwear when entering and exiting a car.

They are attatched to the carpet by a plastic sheet with metal o's that dig into plastic posts on the underside of the door sills.

I removed my door sills from the carpet when I had it out, with intent to sell the carpet, but then decided to hold onto it and toss it back in for now.
I needed a way to reconnect the carpet to the sills, so this is what I came up with. This would also be useful info to someone replacing their carpet with aftermarket moulded carpet. That stuff won't come with sills, so you might have to pick up on this idea. Some of you might question why I posted this, its really simple... well I thought I'd just toss the idea up in the air, maybe it will be of use to someone? I like to document my modifications.. however small, so I might as well share.
Adds a bit of bling as well ;)

Tools I Used:
8 (x2) 1/8"(3mm) x 1/2"(12mm) aluminum rivets
8 (x2) No. 6 SAE washers
Arrow RH200 hand rivet tool
Drill
1/8" drill bit
8" linesman pliers

Pry up on the door sills with your fingers. They're just held in with the standard 'honda clip' You may break one or two, but no biggie, they will still hold well when you put the sills back!
The undersize reveals the plastic post with the little metal o'
Rip it off with the linesman pliers. You may want to trim down the plastic post a wee bit.

Now that the door sill is free from the plastic sheet
Drill a 1/8" hole into each post through to the other side of the door sill.

This should result in such a hole ^

With your fingers, press a rivet into the hole.

Use the linesman pliers, seat the rivet base against the door sill.

Hold a No. 6 washer to the back of the rivet, and make sure the tip extends past the washer.

Use the hand rivet tool to complete the rivet.
Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze! *clink*

This is what the end result should look like!
I think it looks slick :thumbup:

civic_rice@hotmail.com

Here's a link to my original post on honda-tech if you're interested in what others had to say:
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=897115