How To: DIY Shift Knob Red Lettering

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Got bored one day and saw a write up on how to do this somewhere so...i thought, it sounds easy enough, i'll try it and see how it comes out. I've tried it a few different ways to figure out how to get the best results. These are my findings and instructions on how you can put a sick HERRA JDM touch to your OEM, GSR, basically any shift knob with grooves for the shift pattern.

Items Needed:

Red Crayon
Lighter (better than lighting a match everytime)

Ok, what you need to do is clean out the grooves of your shift knob. I used a semi-non working ballpoint pen and it worked fine.

NOW, here comes the fun part. What you must do is take the crayon in one hand, the lighter in the other and melt the crayon onto the shift knob:

I did one letter at a time. I did one drop per letter, as you can see in the pic:

Then...The method thatIi found works best, is to wait till that lil drop of crayon dries and hardens. Give it a minute or so. Once its all set, start working from the top of the drop and "file/sand" down the wax with a finger nail. go easy till you start to see the outline of the letter. then you still want to go easy over the letter as you get closer to the surface of the shift knob so that you dont accidently end up scraping off the wax from the groove.

Once you have most of the wax cleared off, go around the edges carefully, removing unneeded wax build up.

Now, you might have some waxy residue left on the top of the knob. What i did was i held the knob in my right hand and put the top of it into my palm and moved the knob on its "axis" to the point where it created enough friction and heat. That removed most if not all of that residue.

I ended up doing this to my GS-R shift knob and my stock one just for the fun of it:

Thats the finished product! It's an easy and cheap DIY to spruce up your shift knob. I would imagine that it would work on most shift knobs that have a groove for the shift pattern. Enjoy your HERRA JDM shift knob;) .

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what happens when the car bakes in the sun? Mess to clean up.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
I've had my car in the sun a couple times so far, got pretty warm in there...havent had any problems :what:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
It should be fine. Crayons will get soft if baked in the sun for awhile, but they wont melt. Plus, if it does melt, itll just be all liquidy inside the lettering. Just take a cloth or something to cover the shifter up when its gonna be sitting in the direct sun for awhihle.

Looks great Petey. Looks like its really supposed to be that color :thumbs up

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Cool little project there. Definently gonna do this this week.

xquesiano

Air Head
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it looks great and it seams very easy to do but, won't it eventually crack or something?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
xquesiano said:
it looks great and it seams very easy to do but, won't it eventually crack or something?
I dont see why it would crack. If it were to do that, its not all that hard to redo it again. :what:

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha, that's hilarious, how did you think of that

96 EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I tried that but the melting blob of wax missed my shift knob and landed on my leg....Didnt really happen...just thought it would be kina funny. Good write up

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just as a follow up to the issue of the crayon melting when sitting in a hot car:

this is true.

the crayon will melt...luckily enough I noticed it and didnt touch the top of the shift knob..so i drove around with the windows down for a bit and the was hardened up again. I think you'll be all right as long as you dont touch the letters till the wax hardens again.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Genuine Rolla said:
Just as a follow up to the issue of the crayon melting when sitting in a hot car:

this is true.

the crayon will melt...luckily enough I noticed it and didnt touch the top of the shift knob..so i drove around with the windows down for a bit and the was hardened up again. I think you'll be all right as long as you dont touch the letters till the wax hardens again.

EJ6Civic27 said:
It should be fine. Crayons will get soft if baked in the sun for awhile, but they wont melt. Plus, if it does melt, itll just be all liquidy inside the lettering. Just take a cloth or something to cover the shifter up when its gonna be sitting in the direct sun for awhihle.

chow

Its hard to convert KMH
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow nice f**kn job man.