How To: DIY Shift Knob Red Lettering

burntrice16

5+ Year Member
add a few coats of interior clear coat. you can use flat, semi or full gloss. that should help keep the wax in the grooves.

Ag00Civic

5+ Year Member
ya I was wondering if there was maybe a clear epoxy or a clear coat you could use to keep it on there. Might also make it look more shiny!

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yeah, so far since the first melting...it hasn't done it again.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yea, i jsut did it in white, and it came out nice. I used a REALLY sharp pencil to do mie though, but it still came out perfect, thanks for the idea

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ghetto rigged. haha good idea for people that cant buy another shiftknob tho.

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i did it with white, turned out sweet! I also went ahead and did the other indented things in the interior, such as the LOCK signs. Heres a few pics of what i did today lol.

shift knob:

Other things i did (it was very very messy, i dont suggest you try it as you might get wax all over your trim and stuff, i covered it up with paper towel to reduce the mess, its a little more tricky [and messy] to do but after doing it so many times i got the hang of it haha)

I'm not sure how long the wax is gonna last, is there anything else you can put in that would be more long-term (like something made of harder wax maybe?) Overall i like how it looks, its something custom that nobody around here has done =P

99EBPSi

RIP - MH - 11/06/06
Looks nice Lord, just very very time consuming I would guess, but it's all about the details. :thumbs up

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks nice Lord, just very very time consuming I would guess, but it's all about the details. :thumbs up
yes VERY, especially as you're scraping it off and then thers 1 part that goes wrong so you have to recoat that area with wax lol. I ran out of white crayon very quickly :P got a few hot spots on my finger from it haha. over all though i really like how it looks, simple yet nice looking mod.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That must have been expensive. I would have to buy an entire box just for the red.

guerra

5+ Year Member
That looks sick genuine.. i was about to by a jdm type r shift knob, after I thought about gettin the skunk2 one. i might just do this cheaper and it looks good. I have to at least try it.

chavalo89

5+ Year Member
i burnt my knob trying this :(.
Any one got a stock one and willing to ship to Australia?

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow that crayon held up pretty well, cool lil diy, a bit tricky at first iended up rubbing it off with my finger helped put it in the grooves.