how to do a tune up on a 2004 civic

glennd

5+ Year Member
I used to have an older civic with normal wires and plugs. anyway I am looking to do a tune up on my 2004 civic and noticed the plastic caps and lack of wires under the hood. Can someone give me some advice before I go taking it apart? What parts/tools will I need?

dj_cronic_metal

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The plugs pull right out to my knowledge. You don't have to worry about gapping since your not looking to have a race car. Make sure you flush fluids and change the timeing belt aorund 90,000. I have an 04 with 96,000 right now. Been around the block once or twice :d

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
uhhh how many miles does the car have?

We have Coil on plugs, the Coil packs come right off. you can buy and replace those.

D17Denver

JDM products
5+ Year Member
Naw the D17's have waste spark not coil on plug aka COP only the K-series have that just replace plugs and leave the coils alone there good go with NGK double plats

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Naw the D17's have waste spark not coil on plug aka COP only the K-series have that just replace plugs and leave the coils alone there good go with NGK double plats
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

D17Denver

JDM products
5+ Year Member
u guys don't kno about coil on plug and waste spark they are EI systems not Distributor based or DI systems really everything 01' and up. and a real mechanic tune up is just replace plugs and he was askin how to do a tune up on his D17:roll:

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
the specs say distributorless coil on plug direct iginition.

The coils are good for around 100k, they dont last forever.

and yes, the sparks plugs are the only you really have to change on the ignition system. double platinum is stock on ours.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The plugs pull right out to my knowledge. You don't have to worry about gapping since your not looking to have a race car. Make sure you flush fluids and change the timeing belt aorund 90,000. I have an 04 with 96,000 right now. Been around the block once or twice :d
you'll gap the plugs if you want the damn car to run right!

vesselloem1

5+ Year Member
haha the phrase tune up should first of all be thrown out the window. Because your not tuning anything. Regular scheduled maintenance is more like it. Depending on your mileage it will vary. I do plugs, fuel filter, oil change, and just a visual inspection of all my fluids. coolant, trans fluids(if auto) clutch, and brake fluid(if it looks contaminated dark or discolored it can cause brake fade, or crap clutch feel) other than that theres not much to do. I know for my car, there is an entire Factory scheduled maintenance list on HondaTech. Maybe you should check that out.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you'll gap the plugs if you want the damn car to run right!
some plugs do. but the ngk irridiums don't...as per the box they come in. I put them in at around 95k miles. i wasn't aware that i would need new coild packs as well tho'.