How to eliminate burnt oil smell . . .?

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As topic states.
I'm just trying to make the car more pleasant to drive for everyday life since it is the daily driver after all. I notice that in stop and go or after runs it smells like oil burning. There is no oil leaking onto hot surfaces so it is coming from vapor smells I assume.
I've just got a breather filter on the valve cover. Whats next?
B

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As topic states.
I'm just trying to make the car more pleasant to drive for everyday life since it is the daily driver after all. I notice that in stop and go or after runs it smells like oil burning. There is no oil leaking onto hot surfaces so it is coming from vapor smells I assume.
I've just got a breather filter on the valve cover. Whats next?
B
I have no burnt oil smell and I have a breather filter on my valve cover too. :what:

You probably need a rebuild or a different motor in order to eliminate the smell :D

Silence

Banned
How many miles are on your DD? If you have high mileage you might want to rebuild that motor. That might be the problem. Get some new piston rings because some might be seeping past them and causing your "burning oil smell" problem. I mean, after all, if it smells like burning oil it probably is burning oil. =)

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Word.
It is d15b so it has an unknown number of miles, but I have put 35k on it since last May.

I add a quart every 1000 miles if I drive spirited, more often during harder drives. Not certain if it is leaking into the combustion chamber or if it is coming out an Oil seal. It is an IHI RHB5 so I am certain it is an old turbo.
Word.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You definitely have to mention that you got turbo in your first post man..haha...that also has a huge factor in it.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah dude, you could be f**king up your motor or it could be your turbo burning the oil. What kind of tune do you have?

btw, I have a boosted motor and I still have no kind of burnt oil smell.

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You definitely have to mention that you got turbo in your first post man..haha...that also has a huge factor in it.
Lol I didn't mention it since we were in the Forced Induction section but yeah it's there.

The tune is on a burned chip using highway pulls on a wideband hooked to a laptop and processed into chrome pro software. I'm fairly secure with the tune although I'm wondering if we leaned it a little too much in the last tune since my coolant temps are no longer as steady. I now get over 1/2 of the gauge if I hold the car at 75mph+ for 20 minute or more intervals. I can easily get the temp back to normal by running the heat, not on 'hot' and not on 4. Sometimes just having the slider to the red side is enough to keep it cool. I do have coolant lines running to the turbo - but I don't have a flowchart for the coolant passages so it is possible I don't have them running in the most efficient manner - not that it would make a huge difference, but it will when I start to run an auxillary electric water pump. I tapped one of the lines going to the TB area.
I have a 28" front mount, 2.5" pipes, 510cc injectors, 8psi - 9psi max, ramhorn manifold. Full boost at 3400.

How can I tell if my smokey exhaust is from turbo oil seals or from valve seals or rings? I notice it is kinda constantly lightly smoking. Only easy to see at night when there's a car behind me. Nothing to see at idle. Gets worse under boost, but also is black due to added fuel. Stops during coast, but then blows a puff when I touch the throttle again.

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I always thought it had something to do with the breather, or the 'jaunt' on the back of the block that the PCV goes to.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but also is black due to added fuel. Stops during coast, but then blows a puff when I touch the throttle again.

i may be wrong but.. adding fuel that is NEEDED should not result in such a rich condition that you are dumping sooty black smokey out of the exhaust.. that normally indicates unburnt fuel.. and normally means the car is running too rich..

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i may be wrong but.. adding fuel that is NEEDED should not result in such a rich condition that you are dumping sooty black smokey out of the exhaust.. that normally indicates unburnt fuel.. and normally means the car is running too rich..
its pretty common to have a little unburnt fuel out the back if you're running an 11.5:1 afr ratio hitting high boost high rpm. shouldn't be too much but it'll still be just a bit.

to the op- pull your hot side IC pipe off and see if you have oil in it. that'll let you know if oil is geting pushed past the seals in the turbo and going through your ic pipes and into the combustion chamber.

-Luke

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to the op- pull your hot side IC pipe off and see if you have oil in it. that'll let you know if oil is geting pushed past the seals in the turbo and going through your ic pipes and into the combustion chamber.

-Luke
good suggestion

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its pretty common to have a little unburnt fuel out the back if you're running an 11.5:1 afr ratio hitting high boost high rpm. shouldn't be too much but it'll still be just a bit.

also by his "puff if i touch the throttle" made it sound like more than a little.. i maybe misread..

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also by his "puff if i touch the throttle" made it sound like more than a little.. i maybe misread..
It's so hard to tell. I gotta get someone to follow me. I know I can see the puff but not what color it is because it is always dark when I see said puffs. . . when it's light out it's too hard to see. When there's a car behind me with headlights on, the smoke screens the light temporarily and slightly but colors are impossible to identify.

I can pull the charge pipe at the tb and maybe see something up there. Couldn't oil leak into the exhaust side of the turbo?
Word.
B

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's so hard to tell. I gotta get someone to follow me. I know I can see the puff but not what color it is because it is always dark when I see said puffs. . . when it's light out it's too hard to see. When there's a car behind me with headlights on, the smoke screens the light temporarily and slightly but colors are impossible to identify.

I can pull the charge pipe at the tb and maybe see something up there. Couldn't oil leak into the exhaust side of the turbo?
Word.
B

i think that he told you to pull it closer to the turbo because IF its the turbo its the spot where the most oil would be seen..

nurevEKcivic00

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
piston rings or its your valve stem seals. oil is either getting past your rings from the sump or the oil is coing down fromm the top past you valve stem seals into the chamber that way.

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What about the breather-jaunt on the back of the block? Isn't that just like a catch can? I think the seals for that are leaky or something because it's kinda oily, like a slight leak has occured. I wonder if it is due to blowby.
I will replace those rings while the head is off.
B