How To: Fast Blinkers 5th Generation Civic (DIY)

EG4door7o2

I went from RICE 2 NICE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DIY - Fast Blinkers (turn signals) for the EG 5th gen civic

:idea: :!: NOTE: "these instructions are actually for the EG 5th gen model civics." I believe it is the same concept towards the other generation civics...but have not personally tried it on other models besides my own EG. If you plan to try this out on another civic be warned that I am not sure where the exact ground wires are located :!: :idea:

Ever noticed those cars...when they signal they blink hella fast? Some people actually pay the 25 dollars or more for the wiring kit...just to get that effect. The good thing about the wiring kit though is u can have a control to actually adjust the speed. BUT If you ever wanted that Fast Blinker effect and are on a budget and would rather skip the adjusting control....here is what you can do:

MATERIALS: Phillips Screw Driver, Wire Cutters, Electric Tape
approx. install time: under 30 minutes for even beginners unfamiliar w/ electirical wiring.

1. Pop your hood open and using a phillips screw driver...unscrew both corner lenses of your 5th GEN. civic.

2. Take the lenses off completely, so that the bulb & wirings are clearly free and visible to work with.

(you will notice that there are a set of 3 wires connected to one bulb through the connectors on each side of the corner lense.)

3. Take your wire cutter and cut the black wire...which should be the middle wire out of the three wires. This black wire is what is called the GROUND WIRE. Make sure you don't cut too close to the connector...you will want to give it atleast 1 inch length. This is incase you want to re wire the wires for some reason you change your mind. Do this to BOTH sides of the corner signals.

4. Take the ends of the cut wire, and tape them with electric tape so that both ends of the cut wire are not exposed to anything. It should be fine, but this is just incase of any short circuits that may happen if the open ends were exposed.

5. Check out your signals before installing the lenses back on. Make sure your parking lights go on, and signals work, and hazards.

(you should notice that the hazard lights will still blink OEM style...slow and normal. THEY WONT BLINK FAST. However your turn signals will blink fast and giving that effect you want.)
:arrow: you wont have to worry about any other wiring in the taillights...they will work both front and back with this simple procedure.

6. Simply put the corner lenses back on and the bulbs back in, when you notice that everything is working fine. Take your Phillips screw driver and tighten it and your ready to go.

And this is your DIY fast blinker project on a low budget.

JDM-JNKY

In JDM We Trust
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
would it be around the same thing for a 97 hatch? Cutting the black ground wire on the corner light's?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
*SilverBullet* said:
would it be around the same thing for a 97 hatch? Cutting the black ground wire on the corner light's?
should be

JDM-JNKY

In JDM We Trust
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Humm I think I'ma try this tonight.Thank's

EG4door7o2

I went from RICE 2 NICE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not familiar with the ek wirings but its the ground wire as well i never tried it but same concept

JDM-JNKY

In JDM We Trust
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'll try it after work and let you guy's know how it goes

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if I remember correctly, wasn't this method only proven to work for the front blinkers?

JDM-JNKY

In JDM We Trust
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Say's you only need to cut ground wire's for the front only and the rear turn signal's work also.well that's what I'm hoping anyway I guess will find out.

1SLOEG8

I piss on fender gap.
5+ Year Member
the same concept happens when youre corner lights ground out somewhere and your crusin on the freeway and notice when you turn off an exit one blinker is fast and the other one's normal :what: or you have a bulb thats blown. nice write up man!!! im gonna go and try this one.

JDM-JNKY

In JDM We Trust
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yep work's on my 97 Ek hatch.Instead of cutting the wire I just found were it was grounded out which is behind the headlight on the side in the engine bay .I just unscrewed the nut and taped off the rest so I can still screw it back on when I want to. Both Front and back turn signal's work by doing this. Great DIY :thumbs up

1SLOEG8

I piss on fender gap.
5+ Year Member
i did this and it made both front and rear blinkers go all out adhd... so annoying after a while... so i wired the grounds back together :what:

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i did this mod on my 5gen eg... and it works great. Ill never go back.
And yes, You only need to cut front wire. Back will blink rapid too. Im %100 positive. End of discussion.

lesevensixfour

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my blinkers are super dim after doing this mod. they blink really fast, but they have horrible visibility in daytime. is this normal? its just cutting one wire, cant see how i f**ked it up.

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not sure dude... mine did not dim. Are you sure they're dimmer?
Replace one side, and compare them. I dont see how that could happen.

lesevensixfour

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jaredkay said:
not sure dude... mine did not dim. Are you sure they're dimmer?
Replace one side, and compare them. I dont see how that could happen.

ya i only did one side to start so i could compare. i reconnected the wires and now its back to normal, so i really dont understand what happend.